APA first recipe attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff2335

Reaction score
This is going to be my first attempt at creating my own recipe. Just looking for a little input...Thanks :mug:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.00 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [6.80 %] (20 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash 154 degrees 60 mins

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 38.4 IBU
Est Color: 8.3 SRM

Nice. I've been playing around with my own APA recipe's too. Ready to tap my 2nd batch that is similar but has a slight variation.

Sure is great have a self created house ale...enjoy!

I have used victory in several batches and have not been impressed with it... I dont seem to notice the flavor contributions at all.
other than that it looks good to me!

Looks tasty as-is :)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the carapils. You'll get plenty of body and sweetness from the 60L and you don't really want to highlight the malt flavor anyway - just have something there to balance out the hops. Victory is a decent addition as well.

I'd also do either a hop addition at 0 or dry-hopping. You could also just move your last Willamette addition to flameout as the 1.9 IBUs it contributes won't be missed at all in the final product.

Sounds good, are those pellet hops you are using?

yes they are pellet

I have used victory in several batches and have not been impressed with it... I dont seem to notice the flavor contributions at all.
other than that it looks good to me!

How much are you using?

Looks tasty as-is

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the carapils. You'll get plenty of body and sweetness from the 60L and you don't really want to highlight the malt flavor anyway - just have something there to balance out the hops. Victory is a decent addition as well.

I'd also do either a hop addition at 0 or dry-hopping. You could also just move your last Willamette addition to flameout as the 1.9 IBUs it contributes won't be missed at all in the final product.

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the carapils so I think I'll leave it out. And I will move the 5 min hop addition to flameout.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll probably brew this up in the next week or so. :mug:

I would recommend both a 0 min addition and a dry hop. I use a 14g Centennial/14g Cascade addition at 0min and a 28g Amarillo dry hop for 7 days.

Eric

Ok so I think this is going to be the finished recipe.

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.9 IBU
0.75 oz Centennial [6.80 %] (15 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) or S-05 dry yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.36 %
Bitterness: 38.1 IBU
Est Color: 9.2 SRM

I would recommend both a 0 min addition and a dry hop. I use a 14g Centennial/14g Cascade addition at 0min and a 28g Amarillo dry hop for 7 days.

Eric

+1 on the amarillo dry hop! I dry hop my pale with 1oz for a week! It adds a really nice citrusy aroma! Well worth the effort to dry hop IMO!

looks good. personally, id swap the centennial and first willy add to get a lil more centennial aroma, but it'll be good either way

Back