What kind of crappy beer did I just make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
Used a AHS Texas Bock Extract Recipe, but for whatever reason decided to tweak it a bit. Heres the original recipe:

5 lb Amber LME
1.5 oz MaltoFerm
1 lb Corn Sugar
1 oz Brewers Gold hops at 60 min
Saflager S23 yeast

Instead of all the hops at 60, I decided to do 2/3 at 60 and 1/3 at 15 min. And I pitched on top of some WLP005 that I have been using for my past two brews (Pumpkin Ale and Fat Tire Clone). I just didnt really feel like giving up my fridge for lagering just yet, so I went with the Ale yeast.

Not sure if the Malto Ferm does anything other than color? This is my first brew that I've done without steeping grains and with corn sugar. I'm thinking this is going to be some sort of crappy dark amber ale. I will probably bottle this batch and give it to all the drunks when they come over. I am not expecting much... someone please give me hope that this will be somewhat drinkable!

Oh and to add to the madness I only ended up with a little over 4 gallons of wort. (Didnt bother to add any top up= FULL BOIL ftw!) Just thought that maybe I'd end up with a slightly higher ABV (recipe says it should be 4.3% with 5 gallons)

....and.... my wort chiller hose came undone and I may or may not have squirted a bit of garden hose water into the cooling wort. I am not to worried about this - it is what it is - but it just goes to show that today should have been the day I spent just drinking beer instead of making it!

Thanks superjunior, I guess I am still enough of a noob that I feel uneasy just blindly making changes to kit recipes. If anything, I will have learned by my own mistakes instead of others. That plus the fact that this kit was super cheap (corn sugar and all), gives me little hope for winning any awards with this beer. But don't get me wrong, I will be drinking it, as it 'will be beer'!

According to BeerSmith, it'll be a little weak, hoppy, and dark for a traditional bock. But as superjunior says, it'll still be beer. :)

OG Estimate: 1.054
FG Estimate: 1.014
ABV Estimate: 5.18%
Color: 49.5 SRM
IBUs: 27.8

And from what I've read here, Maltoferm doesn't do anything other than adjust color, but it has a SRM of 7000! According to BeerSmith, that should have changed your color from 9.5 SRM to 49.5 with 1.5 ounces (I assumed a final batch size of 4.2 gallons).

Without any specialty grains I think this will be a fairly unremarkable brew, but very drinkable. The LME should leave a fair amount of residual sweetness behind despite the high percentage of corn sugar added. I had to look it up, but apparently the MaltoFerm adds color and a bit of roast flavor. I don't think you will get swill by any means.

Thanks for plugging that in robbyg, I really appreciate it. That's kinda what I was hoping to hear actuaully. A somewhat hoppy, somewhat bocky, somewhat crappy beer.

Back