I am thinking I should let it sit a little longer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I have an Amber Ale I brewed back on 10/3 (extract w/ steeped grains) and I figured that it would be ready to bottle on 10/17. Well, I checked the gravity, made adjustments for the temp, and I was under my estimated FG. So, I let it sit a few more days. I checked it today and it's at now at my estimated FG of 1.016. So, I know I have to check it 2 more days to get a consistent reading, but I noticed something I don't recall ever seeing before. When I put my thief into the beer I can see carbonation bubbles and a small amount of foam forms at the top of the beer inside the thief. When I slide the hydrometer into the thief it foams up more. I am thinking I should definitely give the beer a few more days, maybe even to the end of the week.
I kept the ferm temps on the lowish side of the yeast's (Wyeast 1007) comfort zone. I have never used this yeast before so I am not sure if this is common of the yeast or they still have some work to do.

I wouldn't mess with it until halloween unless you're planning on clarifying. Won't hurt to let it go that long. The only beers that I ever have go from primary day one to keg in less than a month is a wheat beer. All my ales, especially that darker and more hoppy ones, sit for atleast 2 months before being kegged. Lagers go 3-5 months depending. You're still way too green on that one.

i routinely go 4-6 weeks in primary. just forget about it for that time. often no secondary too. they turn out amazing

beer IS carbonated in the fermenter...just not to normal levels for drinking.

even 3 weeks after fermentation ends, you'll still have some CO2 in solution.
just let it sit either way, as no great beer is ever rushed to the bottle :)

Back