odd or original west coast breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonalexdeval

Reaction score
I was looking at the dogfish head website just now:

The Brews | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales

and was lamenting the fact that I could not get any of their rare beers since I am here on the West coast (CA). Does anyone have any favorite micro breweries here in the West that specialize in rare or odd beers... fruits, berliner weisses, revivals of endangered european styles, etc.?

I was looking at the dogfish head website just now:

The Brews | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales

and was lamenting the fact that I could not get any of their rare beers since I am here on the West coast (CA). Does anyone have any favorite micro breweries here in the West that specialize in rare or odd beers... fruits, berliner weisses, revivals of endangered european styles, etc.?

You can get some DFH out here, no problem. Not all of their stuff makes it, but enough that you can get a good idea of what they do. 60 and 90 minute, Midas Touch, Palo Santo Marron, raison D'Etre, Black and Blue, Red and White, I've seen Fort out here, and the rest are an easy trade away.

As for local stuff... There's a ton. It all just depends on what you're looking for. the Bruery makes a Berliner Weisse that is really good. They also make a ton of interesting other beer, and just put out their Autumn Maple which is a beer made with yams. Russian River makes great sour beers, and if you like big beer flavor with fruit, you should buy a bottle of Consecration. That beer is insane. "Rare" is also a term that means little to me. I would be more concerned with "exceptional", because 120 Minute IPA is "rare" but not great. I'd be happier with a bottle of Speedway Stout, Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA (which is limited release I guess), and many others.

Not a lot of breweries do odd recreations of ancient beer, and there's a reason for that. They're novel, but not very good.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Where in CA are you? Maybe I can help further.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Oakland. I'm sure there's some good retail beer stores around here, I just haven't gotten around to investigating it extensively. I like trying "different" things. I recently had my first braggot and cysers at a local meadery/brewery, which I liked. I'm just tired of the pale ale/stout/porter/amber/etc. routine that seems so common to craft breweries in the US. I like the Belgians, but they're a little heavy and sweet. I love Bavarian hefes, but there's only so many I can get my hands on.

I did just find some festina peche (DFH) at the local BevMo. I'm getting to the point where I'd rather spend more even for less if it means quality. The DFH Fort and Pangea caught my eye. I'll check those others out that you mentioned.

haha... thanks. Yeah, I've spent most of my time looking for european imports. I've kinda been an anti-american beer snob so far but I want to expand my horizons.

I've had Pliny the Elder on draft... was actually a bit underwhelmed for some reason. I should check out some of their others though judging by their website. Lost Abbey is of course mega-popular in the local pubs here. But see, here again, I've been a little underwhelmed. Maybe I've just been taking these local breweries for granted, not sure. I like the tangerine... probably my favorite. Great White's not bad. Downtown Brown is like EVERYONE'S staple dark ale in the bay area... not too bad. 8-ball stout is average. Raspberry brown is pretty good I'll admit. I haven't had the others.

Maybe I'm asking for too much? I just drank my DFH festina peche and I think that's more along the lines I'm talking about. Granted, it's nothing SUPER special, but at least it's different from the routine styles... you know, throw a little citrus in the hefe, a little berry in the brown, choco in the stout. West coast ales seem so heavy. Yeah, I'm very picky... that's why I went to euro beers like franziskaner (my fav).... hehe

Can't really say where to get beers out your way, but can chime in on some DFH. I think my problem is that I over-anticipate every DFH I get a hold of. Many of their brews are better classified as malt beverages than beer (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The Pangea is excellent along with the Theobroma. I could leave the Sah-tea (and I really wanted to be a viking) and chateau jiahu behind. I think I just love their approach to beer so much that I can't wait to try everything I see.

A friend of mine was just telling me the other day about some bar around here that has several gruit beers available... I can't wait!

I'm not sure how trades work, but would be open to finding out.

If you're underwhelmed by Pliny and your favorite beer is Franziskaner, I'd say you and I are beer worlds apart. Look into the RR sours and see if that's unusual enough for you. I think fetina peche is kind of boring, but I don't like most fruit beers.

A friend of mine was just telling me the other day about some bar around here that has several gruit beers available... I can't wait!

Assuming you are in Douglasville, PA, care to name the bar?

I think most major pockets of the country have their own little niche breweries, some distribute, some don't. Of the ones that distribute, they never distribute, they never send all of the offerings. I know DFH is on the west coast, because I have seen some of the more broadly available beers at BevMo, but you guys don't seem to get some of the more small, crafty brews they have. I know Theambora and Pangea will not make it there. But at the same time, we only seem to get like 25% of Bear republic, Green Flash and Pizza Port out here. I think I finally started seeing kegs of The Breuery's offerings in the bars out here, they are CA based as well. I have read good things about this place.

I've had Pliny the Elder on draft... was actually a bit underwhelmed for some reason. I should check out some of their others though judging by their website.

Getting it on draft anywhere other that at the RR pub is a gamble. I had it on tap at the pub and is amazing. I have had it on tap at BJs in Roseville where your server does not even tell you that they have it even when you ask what beers do they have?

I went in once before I have ever had a pliny but was looking for one. I saw the tap on the way out after dinner and was mad since I asked what "other" beers they had besides their own and was not told out it.

At any rate I went back and was ready this time, I ordered it and it just wasn't as fresh as the pubs and lost a lot of its aroma and a little taste. I blame it on the staff for not informing people of their choices and I am sure the keg has been sitting there for a while. Plus it is $2 more a glass than other beers.

You need to get out more...

Even the most established micro in your town has rare-exceptional beers:
Anchor Our Barrel Ale
Anchor Our Barrel Ale - Anchor Brewing Company - BeerAdvocate

Go to the Trappist.
Get on the Bart and hit Toronado & City Beer

I do love the Trappist. I don't go there enough though! :)

I like Anchor, but I haven't tried many of their more peripheral brews. From what I've heard, they do the basic steam beer best though.

Do you mean the city beer store on Folsom street? I've been wanting to go there.

Sorry... Douglasville, GA. Land of no-sunday-alcohol sales and just recently allowed high-gravity... it's terrific... (snicker)

It's great down here in the bible belt!:rockin:

Hey now, there are some good places to get some great beers around the metro ATL... Granted, you may have to drive a bit, but it is still accessible...

:mug:

Trappist - Lukas Tap Room - Jupiter -Triple Rock- 21st Amend - Magnolia - City Beer - the list is too long. We live in a beer heaven if you ae looking for odd bottlings City beer is def. for you. Also watch for odd offerings from Valley Brew - Nottoberfest is featuring them, never had any but should be cool and includes beer ice cream Beer & Nosh » Notoberfest . Jump on Bart and beer is always close by.

I went in once before I have ever had a pliny but was looking for one. I saw the tap on the way out after dinner and was mad since I asked what "other" beers they had besides their own and was not told out it.

Hehe, that reminds me when I used to work at Rogue's Eugene location. We'd almost always have a "secret" beer on tap. Usually, this was an experimental or "one-batch" offering that our pub would only get a keg or two of like Dead guy aged in Dead Guy Whiskey barrels or a keg of 3 year aged Old Crustacean.

Usually, these beers would blow in a day or two (often before I got to have a pint), so we just told regulars and obvious beer geeks, who would likely appreciate them. I would never not sell someone a pint of these beers, or deny we had them if asked.

Moral of the story: be nice to your bartender/server and ask lots of questions.

Trappist - Lukas Tap Room - Jupiter -Triple Rock- 21st Amend - Magnolia - City Beer - the list is too long. We live in a beer heaven if you ae looking for odd bottlings City beer is def. for you. Also watch for odd offerings from Valley Brew - Nottoberfest is featuring them, never had any but should be cool and includes beer ice cream Beer & Nosh » Notoberfest . Jump on Bart and beer is always close by.

I've not been to Lukas yet believe it or not. Jupiter and Triple Rock don't really cut it for me in terms of variety or style (although I did enjoy my last Jupiter dry stout). 21st Ammendment is cool but trendy and their beer is just ok imo (I do appreciate the originality of watermelon wheat, but their ambers tasted bland and soapy). I need to get to City Beer. I'm looking for pretty unique stuff, mostly import recreational or neo styles... pretty much anything with wheat, fruit or unusual yeasts. I've recently got into mead also... which is fun.

I'm more looking for suggestions as to west coast brews that I could find in a store like city beer. They don't have to be bay area breweries.

Back