Thinking about doing a mini mash, any tips would be great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been brewing extract for a little while. 3 brews under my belt, enjoying the process and the results. So, my next brew is a DFH 60 minute IPA clone. the recipe includes Amber malt, which I believe has to be mashed. I could save myself the hassel and sub the amber with crystal or carapils, but I think this just might be a nice intro to what's involved with all grain brewing, and at the least give me an insight in to what I want to be doing eventually. On top of that, I'd like to follow the recipe. I have no experience in this as I've always steeped my grains, if anyone could run the process through I would be very appreciative, also the quantities of water/grain.

Thank you in advance!
Graeme

How many pounds of grain can you mash? That will be the deciding factor in how much extract or grain you use. If you have a big grain bag, you can probably mash around 4 pounds or so, I'd guess.

What size of a boil can you do?

The biggest Pot I have is probably around 4L which I know isn't a great deal, I do my boil in a 25L electrim heating vessel, so when I'm steeping grains I usually steep them in the 4L pot, usually around 450-500g

Back