Anything OxiClean Free isn't good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read it is not safe for aluminum pots but I'm not sure why or if it's true.

I use oxyclean in my 40qt. aluminum pot all the time. If there are any ill effects, I've yet to see them.

I used it in my aluminum pot and figured it's ruined. I've heard I can scrub the hell out of it and it might fix it but I dunno. It's definitely a different color and not smooth, I figured some kind of oxidation process happened would affect my wort.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/did-i-ruin-brew-pot-101897/

How long did you let it sit? Yeah, if you let the oxyclean go too long in the aluminum it will form a heavy oxide layer and become very dark. You can remove it by refilling it with oxyclean and letting it sit for only 15 minutes. After that it will nice and shinny and you will need to boil water in it to form the protective oxide layer (light gray color). Sounds strange but it works.

So, to the OP, I would avoid the oxyclean on aluminum and and other soft metals such as copper. In those cases it worth spring for the PBW.

I soaked my pot for 15 min w/ Oxyclean and when I poured it out I couldn't discern any difference. I need to break out the steel wool I think.

One thing I figured out that OxiClean is great for is cleaning coffee maker baskets. Those things are impossible to get clean, but a quick soak in OxiClean makes short work of all the gunk.

You can boil a vinegar and water solution to remove oxidation from aluminum. Something on the order of 1 tbsp per quart. It smells pretty bad, so do it outside. It does work, though, and only takes 10 or 20 minutes. No scrubbing necessary, just boil, drain and rinse.

I've had to do this on my aluminum pressure cooker every now and then.

Snorting OxyClean is probably NOT so AMAZING!

billy_oxyclean.jpg

You can boil a vinegar and water solution to remove oxidation from aluminum. Something on the order of 1 tbsp per quart. It smells pretty bad, so do it outside. It does work, though, and only takes 10 or 20 minutes. No scrubbing necessary, just boil, drain and rinse.

I've had to do this on my aluminum pressure cooker every now and then.

I'll give this a try when I have some free time. Boiling a vinegar bath is much preferable to scrubbing!

Drinking,
just last night swmbo was clean some spots and set the small glass down and went on doing other stuff , later she grab the glass and took a drink becase it was next to her water glass, she shreeked and then got a stomch ache,, however she is fine today

Why do you want to remove the oxidation layer from an aluminum pot? I thought it was supposed to be a good thing?

Latest posts

Back