Oregon Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
Thinking about doing 5 gallons of apricot. 2 cans + 5 gallons of water + yeast.

No nutrient no added anything.

Has anyone around here used this stuff for wine?

any input on using Vintners Harvest Fruit Wine Bases opposed to this?

I would love to see any successful recipes please!!!!

I am no wine expert, but unless those cans are about 2 gallons each, I don't think you will have enough sugar to ferment and have anything more potent than a non-alcoholic beer.

I just added 3 cans, 45oz of Oregon fruit to a beer, it had something like 13g of sugar per serving which I think was 2 or 3 per can. So with that math, I only added 78 - 117 grams of sugar, but mine was only for taste not turning into alcohol.

I am no wine expert, but unless those cans are about 2 gallons each, I don't think you will have enough sugar to ferment and have anything more potent than a non-alcoholic beer.

I just added 3 cans, 45oz of Oregon fruit to a beer, it had something like 13g of sugar per serving which I think was 2 or 3 per can. So with that math, I only added 78 - 117 grams of sugar, but mine was only for taste not turning into alcohol.

I'm gonna add sugar.

How big are the cans? If they're the 12 oz size, 2 cans isn't going to give you much more than apricot flavored hooch water. The sugar flavor after it's fermented will taint the apricot flavor. I would add at least 3 lbs worth for a 5 gallon batch, 6 if you can afford it.

How big are the cans? If they're the 12 oz size, 2 cans isn't going to give you much more than apricot flavored hooch water. The sugar flavor after it's fermented will taint the apricot flavor. I would add at least 3 lbs worth for a 5 gallon batch, 6 if you can afford it.

The Oregon Fruit puree is 3# cans. So he is using 6# of fruit. Still for a wine I think that is very light. I usually see numbers like 3-6#/gallon.

Sorry I don't have experience with either product however both seem to be high quality fruit products. I believe the Oregon fruit is just whole fruit, seeded and pureed, while the Vintner's Harvest is fruit and juice or just juice depending on the fruit.

I think if I was making a wine I would use a couple cans of Vintner's Harvest. If I was using it to flavor a beer or mead I would probably use the Oregon Fruit. Either would work but I would still plan to use at least 2# per gallon, 3# would be better. Fruit wines are not cheap.

Craig

49oz cans.............

The Oregon Fruit puree is 3# cans. So he is using 6# of fruit. Still for a wine I think that is very light. I usually see numbers like 3-6#/gallon.

Sorry I don't have experience with either product however both seem to be high quality fruit products. I believe the Oregon fruit is just whole fruit, seeded and pureed, while the Vintner's Harvest is fruit and juice or just juice depending on the fruit.

I think if I was making a wine I would use a couple cans of Vintner's Harvest. If I was using it to flavor a beer or mead I would probably use the Oregon Fruit. Either would work but I would still plan to use at least 2# per gallon, 3# would be better. Fruit wines are not cheap.

Craig
I was planning on using 2 of the Oregons
so your saying 3 cans of 49 ozOregons. And or 2 of Vintner's for 5 gallons.

I was planning on using 2 of the Oregons
so your saying 3 cans of 49 ozOregons. And or 2 of Vintner's for 5 gallons.

I think 2 cans of Oregon or 1 can of Vintner's would be the minimum for a 5 gallon batch. The Vintner's can includes recipes for 3gal or 5gal from a single cap but many people say they find the 5gal recipe kind of thin.
I don't think you would be wrong using 2 cans of Vintner's fruit base in a 5gal wine. 3 or even 4 cans of Oregon fruit would probably work also. Ofcourse this does depend on the fruit as some fruits have much stronger flavors than others.

Now this is just my opinion based on a couple batches using fresh fruit and on other opinions I have read. I have not used either product.

Craig

I've used oregon puree before, and it's just the fruit pulverized until it's a nice mushy mess. Me being in Oregon, I guess I'm privy to getting smaller sizes of puree, hence why I asked the size of the cans. Six pounds of apricots will work just fine for a 5 gallon batch, but it won't be wine strength (not a bad thing). If you can afford 9 lbs I would use that, but you'll definitely get something drinkable and tasty with 6 lbs plus 2 lbs of sugar.

I've used oregon puree before, and it's just the fruit pulverized until it's a nice mushy mess. Me being in Oregon, I guess I'm privy to getting smaller sizes of puree, hence why I asked the size of the cans. Six pounds of apricots will work just fine for a 5 gallon batch, but it won't be wine strength (not a bad thing). If you can afford 9 lbs I would use that, but you'll definitely get something drinkable and tasty with 6 lbs plus 2 lbs of sugar.

I was thinking at 5-7 lbs' of sugar. No good?

I think 5 lbs or more will be overkill.

Are you sure about that? If you are trying to make a wine, you will want the OG between 1.075 (10%ABV) and 1.100 (14%ABV) with about 1.090 being the norm. A rough guesstimate puts about 7# of sugar at the low end of this.

From jack keller's website the apricot wine recipes use between 2 and 3 # of apricots and between 2 and 3 # of sugar per gallon.

Craig

I bottled this trash this past weekend, after I backsweetened it with Splenda. If I had to describe the taste I would say watered down apricote flavor what a disappointment.

Back