Gruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not brewed one personally, although I've tasted one brewed by the president of my homebrew club. Depending on the herbs used for bittering, it can be quite an interesting (and refreshing) brew.

Are you developing a recipe? There's one in Radical Brewing that I may be tempted to try in a small experimental batch some time soon.

I'm thinking about trying it out at some point. I found this site, which has some recipes that may provide a springboard for something:

Gruit Ales

there is a delicious gruit beer that includes about ten herbs/spices, including wild hops, that i buy at Friar Tuck Beverage in Savoy (Champaign) Illinois- im having trouble finding its name anywhere, but it is both refreshing and delicious and may inspire you further- the same brewery also makes a FANTASTIC Berliner Weiss that i enjoy whenever i can

the most disappointing aspect of the whole gruit beer question is that two of the three traditional gruit herbs, wild rosemary and yarrow, are currently deemed unsafe for human consumption, making a truly authentic gruit beer almost out of the question...

Taken from gruitale.com :: Gruit Ale & Unhopped Beers, Brewing Herbs and Recipes

To understand why hops replaced gruit it is important keep in mind the properties of gruit ale: it is highly intoxicating and aphrodisiacal when consumed in sufficient quantity. Gruit ale stimulates the mind, creates euphoria and enhances sexual drive.
Yeah, I think I'm going to try a batch of this if I can get my hands on the herbs.

Back