I Almost Died Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So me and my friends decide to go white water rafting today and guess what...i almost died. So We are coming up to some class 5 rapids and these babies are intense. We are navigating through the rapids with our guide and we are about to make this huge drop and we go into it sideways. So as we go down the little drop it swings our raft around and tilts it to the side. Sure enough i go plunging into the rapids and i am being thrashed around and pulled under in class 5 rapids. So i am bouncing off of rocks like a pinball and one of my shooes fell off and i nailed a rock and i think my heel is broken. Then i was trying to grab onto rocks on the side but i kept getting sucked under and i nailed my rib on a huge rock. So pretty much i was just getting sucked under and nailing rocks under water. Thats when i thought...im going to die. I started to pray and thinking, "Why is this happening to me?" and then everything started to go slow-mo. And i remebered. Whie i was on the bus from the rafting company going to the river i was sitting there and lying my head back. I was thinking about what i was about to do and then i relized that people have died doing this. So i started to say some prayers and ask for protection. And then one of the guides screamed, "Are u praying dude!!!" and he screamed it infront of the whole bus in front of 40 people. And then all these people were glaring at me. I was a bit embarassed so i told him, "No...i was just lying down humming." After I said that i relized that i had just rejected God. I told a man that I was not praying to my God...that i was rather humming a tune. I knew i should have stuck up to my religion and said, "Yes i am praying because i need protection." I knew i would pay for it later because it nevers is cool with God if u reject Him...read the Bible. So As i am going slow-mo under water I remembered me rejecting Him and i started to pray as i was bobbing up and down and bouncing off of rocks. I said, "Lord, I am sorry for rejecting you. Just please save me and keep me safe." About 5 seconds later I see a guide on the banks throw a rope to me and i grabbed onto it and was pulled out of the rapids. Now i know i should never be ashammed and embarassed to be praying. Im not trying to scare non-believers...just sharring my stories with yall. Now i am clompletely sore

Very few people know what it is like to swim a class 5 rapid, and I feel your pain. I love running big rivers, but you are right, people die. Four years ago, a friend died on an anual trip we do in the most isolated canyon in the lower 48. He was pinned under for approx 7-8 minutes, and though we were able to get him breathing again, he just wasn't meant to survive. Last year on the same river, Our boat fliped in a hole the size of a Ford van on a 300 yard long, class five rapid, and I thought of him.

We wouldn't do it if it weren't for the adrenalin, and there would be no adrenalin if it weren't for the danger.

Glad to hear you are OK. Ready to do it again?:rockin:

Very few people know what it is like to swim a class 5 rapid, and I feel your pain. I love running big rivers, but you are right, people die. Four years ago, a friend died on an anual trip we do in the most isolated canyon in the lower 48. He was pinned under for approx 7-8 minutes, and though we were able to get him breathing again, he just wasn't meant to survive. Last year on the same river, Our boat fliped in a hole the size of a Ford van on a 300 yard long, class five rapid, and I thought of him.

We wouldn't do it if it weren't for the adrenalin, and there would be no adrenalin if it weren't for the danger.

Glad to hear you are OK. Ready to do it again?:rockin:

Im sorry to here about your friend. I am not sure yet if i will do it again. I was scared ****less. I was having a great time before that happened so idk. I have cuts and bruises all over me....maybe next year :)

Ahhh, get back in it and soon, just not a class 5 for a while again. Glad to hear you are alright.

Aight...like i said, i was having a great time before that. And i wish i had a choice to not do the class 5..but we had to go through it to get to the end of the river. They said it was usually a class 4 but there was a huge surge that day and the park ranger declared it a class 5. They guides said it looked like a completely different river. I think i will do it agin next year...but when we get to that part i will move towards the middle of the raft :)

Out of curiosity, where were you? I went rafting on the middle Ocoee last week. Our guide ask us if we wanted to swim one (of course we said yes) and took us into one of the milder class 4 sideways. I came up under the raft and had a split second of panic so I can only imagine what you were feeling. Glad to hear you are OK (for the most part).

So, we are having a meeting next Saturday at Max Lagers to plan an ATL brewday. So if you feel up to coming...
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=751983#post751983

What river, what rapid? Since you're in Atlanta and you said class 5, I'm guessing Chatooga, Section 4?

Out of curiosity, where were you? I went rafting on the middle Ocoee last week. Our guide ask us if we wanted to swim one (of course we said yes) and took us into one of the milder class 4 sideways. I came up under the raft and had a split second of panic so I can only imagine what you were feeling. Glad to hear you are OK (for the most part).

I was a canoeist (sp?) until I went to the Ocoee and saw kayakers at Hells Hole. Bought a yak and never looked back. I don't travel much, but I bet I have 100 runs of the Section 3 and a dozen of the Ocoee. Never got the nerve to run Sec 4 past Woodall shoals, but I have run Woodall @ 1.7 :rockin:

Aight...like i said, i was having a great time before that. And i wish i had a choice to not do the class 5..but we had to go through it to get to the end of the river.

The numbers are there as a guide, but don't let the number spook you too much (or make you over confident). The class of the rapid dictates approximate danger, and hence the skill level need to navigate it successfully. Once you are out of the boatyour bashing about in the rocks and you could have taken just as bad of a beating at a class 3 or 4. I've had to be rescued (not just a throw rope, but pulled from the river) twice. Once was a on a easy class 4 (Chatooga - Eye of the Needle), and the other was on an *easy* class 3 (Nantahala - Lesser Wesser). I lost a fellow paddler at Lesser Wesser about 15 years ago and the worst beating I have ever taken was when I flipped in a class-3 shoals on the Ocoee.

So, we are having a meeting next Saturday at Max Lagers to plan an ATL brewday. So if you feel up to coming...

Thanks for the invite, but I've got a 5yr old bday party. That, and I'm 45min below the airport....

Thanks for the invite, but I've got a 5yr old bday party. That, and I'm 45min below the airport....

Well, I will take the excuse this time. But, you will be at the brew day, right? It will be closer to you since I think Brewiz is going to host.

yeah i went on the Ocoee. It was at the part where the dam was with that waterfall if u know what i am talking about. I was with Ocoee Rafting. I would love to come but I have a friend viting from NY and he HATES brewig.

What river, what rapid? Since you're in Atlanta and you said class 5, I'm guessing Chatooga, Section 4?

I was a canoeist (sp?) until I went to the Ocoee and saw kayakers at Hells Hole. Bought a yak and never looked back. I don't travel much, but I bet I have 100 runs of the Section 3 and a dozen of the Ocoee. Never got the nerve to run Sec 4 past Woodall shoals, but I have run Woodall @ 1.7 :rockin:

The guide let me do a bull ride at hells hole...i took a face full of water that shot up my nose (i hate that feeling). That was the last rapid of the trip so i figured if i survived the first scare i should survive hells hole. There were a bunch of kayakers that looked like they were having fun...i was thinkin about kayaking. I am just a bit nervouse to do it by myself though

I got read-ended by a mini van who didnt apply breaks at all with 50mph waiting at a stop light. The cops and firefighters response was only "dude, I have never seen somebody claimbing out of a wreak like this with just minor injuries." Quiet ugly... I know how you feel. Don't let it take you down. :mug:

There were a bunch of kayakers that looked like they were having fun...i was thinkin about kayaking. I am just a bit nervouse to do it by myself though

Kayakked Hells hole many times. It is a blast. As for being to nervous to do it by yourself, it's kinda hard to fit someone else in a one man boat...

Well, I will take the excuse this time. But, you will be at the brew day, right? It will be closer to you since I think Brewiz is going to host.

Stockbridge isn't bad for me at all. When's the brewday? What's the theme?

Stockbridge isn't bad for me at all. When's the brewday? What's the theme?

We are going to decide the date on Saturday (hopefully). The theme will be the 09-09-09 Barleywine. So the date will be some weekend in September probably.

I would love to come but I have a friend viting from NY and he HATES brewig.

OK, hopefully you can make it to the brew day. Watch the other thread for updates on the specifics.

My brother used to live in AK. A long time friend of the family dropped by his house one day and says "Hey you wanna go rafting"? My brother (having never done it before), says "sure". He took him on a class 5. Some friend.

What kind of DICK guide would try to embarass someone like that? I don't think it's any secret that class 5 rapids are dangerous. he must have been some kind of egomaniac power-trip bully.

What kind of DICK guide would try to embarass someone like that? I don't think it's any secret that class 5 rapids are dangerous. he must have been some kind of egomaniac power-trip bully.

Yeah the 'friend' is a pretty strange bird imho. Well my brother didn't even know how the classing system works. I have no idea how they overlooked him going, but he did and did NOT have a good time. He said it was probably the most frightening, nasty experience he has ever had. And for good reason from what I understand.

So As i am going slow-mo under water I remembered me rejecting Him and i started to pray as i was bobbing up and down and bouncing off of rocks. I said, "Lord, I am sorry for rejecting you. Just please save me and keep me safe." About 5 seconds later I see a guide on the banks throw a rope to me and i grabbed onto it and was pulled out of the rapids. Now i know i should never be ashammed and embarassed to be praying. Im not trying to scare non-believers...just sharring my stories with yall. Now i am clompletely sore

It is amazing when he touches you with his noodly appendage isn't it? I have felt the touch of the noodly appendage several times in my life and have to say it is such a relief to know he is there. The other amazing thing is that one of the guides threw you a rope which is a device in his divine image rescuing you from the your death. You should pray to that spaghetti rope every day for it is a miracle and he hath made that rope an extension of his noodly appendages.

Great story, thanks for sharing. This brings to mind Luke 9:26. Glad to hear you are ok. Sometimes the good Lord works in mysterious ways to get us back on the right track.

It is amazing when he touches you with his noodly appendage isn't it? I have felt the touch of the noodly appendage several times in my life and have to say it is such a relief to know he is there. The other amazing thing is that one of the guides threw you a rope which is a device in his divine image rescuing you from the your death. You should pray to that spaghetti rope every day for it is a miracle and he hath made that rope an extension of his noodly appendages.

Can't just leave the man to his faith, huh? Maybe I'm misinterpreting but that came off like the atheist mocking the Christian... nice.

I think you guys are missing the OP's point and I'm suprised how quickly a thread about faith became a discussion on rapids.

fat x nub, glad to hear you're okay and it sounds like you came out more secure in your faith. It is odd that the guide would "call you out" on praying... do they let 12 year olds guide these trips or what? Regardless, you'd be suprised how many people share both your faith and doubts. I'm amazed at how many discussions about God I've gotten into at bars and other places you wouldn't expect. I had a Bible on my desk the other week and had two different coworkers comment on it. One kinda laughed it off but the other ended up sitting down and talking about his faith. Sometimes you just gotta put yourself out there and see what happens. Keep the faith man... :D

It is odd that the guide would "call you out" on praying... do they let 12 year olds guide these trips or what?

How do we know he was calling him out? Perhaps if the OP said "yes, I am praying" the guides answer would have been "good, you are going to need it" then they all have a good laugh and the mood is lightened.

As for the reason he didn't die, it sounds to me as if once he started to relax, he let the current take over and he was being pulled through the rapids and to the surface. While he was struggling and working to fight the rapids he was doing just the opposite of helping himself.

The same thing happens when you get caught by an under tow in the ocean, people will fight it and try to swim back to shore and wear themselves out and drown. The right thing to do is just relax and go with it, you will evetually float down and out of the tow.

How do we know he was calling him out? Perhaps if the OP said "yes, I am praying" the guides answer would have been "good, you are going to need it" then they all have a good laugh and the mood is lightened.

As for the reason he didn't die, it sounds to me as if once he started to relax, he let the current take over and he was being pulled through the rapids and to the surface. While he was struggling and working to fight the rapids he was doing just the opposite of helping himself.

The same thing happens when you get caught by an under tow in the ocean, people will fight it and try to swim back to shore and wear themselves out and drown. The right thing to do is just relax and go with it, you will evetually float down and out of the tow.

Good point, the guide could have responded that way... I just didn't get that from fat's description.

You're right about relaxing in undertow, but that mostly pulls you out as opposed to under. Well, I guess it does pull you down as well now that I think about it. I dunno... I've never been whitewater rafting but I'd think those eddys could suck you under and keep you there. Scary stuff...

Most uncool. Let's assume just for arguments sake that faith, God, and religion are nothing more than a collection of myths made up to make us all feel better. An adult version of a child's "security blanket". With me so far? Good. Now ask yourself this:

Why would a normal individual run up and snatch it away from them and laugh in their face?!? Answer: A normal person wouldn't.

If someone wants to debate the existence of God (or lack thereof), feel free to argue till your fingers hurt. But when someone lets down their guard and shares something with you that is deeply personal and brings them peace and comfort, BE DECENT OR BE QUIET!

Most uncool. Let's assume just for arguments sake that faith, God, and religion are nothing more than a collection of myths made up to make us all feel better. An adult version of a child's "security blanket". With me so far? Good. Now ask yourself this:

Why would a normal individual run up and snatch it away from them and laugh in their face?!? Answer: A normal person wouldn't.

If someone wants to debate the existence of God (or lack thereof), feel free to argue till your fingers hurt. But when someone lets down their guard and shares something with you that is deeply personal and brings them peace and comfort, BE DECENT OR BE QUIET!

thanks pldoolittle. and donasay....ur an ass

Latest posts

Back