Beer Alchemy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusion94

Reaction score
I bought Beer Alchemy not too long ago as I considered it one of the better apps out there for OS X. After playing with it for some time I'm not thrilled with the fact that exporting to the BeerXML format doesn't export the POTENTIAL Data tag.

Is anyone aware of any Brewing Software that is fully compliant with BeerXML and isn't QBrew? It also has to run on OS X as I'd really prefer to not load up Windows in VMWare Fusion to do recipes.

You might also send this feedback to Kent Place Software. It seems that they have been very responsive to user feedback.

I think their customer service rocks. I have sent feedback twice and both times it was addressed the next day.

I'm not thrilled with the fact that exporting to the BeerXML format doesn't export the POTENTIAL Data tag.

Is anyone aware of any Brewing Software that is fully compliant with BeerXML and isn't QBrew?
Having looked into it, the POTENTIAL tag isn't a required part of a BeerXML file as defined in the documentation.

http://www.beerxml.com/beerxml.htm

BeerAlchemy exports the YIELD tag which is the required field. As the POTENTIAL tag isn't required it can't really be said that BA isn't fully compliant with the standard because it omits it. Indeed the documentation says
These options are NOT required and all may not be supported by a particular program. Where implemented, these tags provide a consistent method for display only. None of these values should be used for import as the display value may be rounded from the true value.

Back