Tertiary?????Anyone do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a brew that is 2 weeks into the secondary. Looking good, testing and tasting good. However, there has been a significant amound of truble/sediment fallout for this brew in the secondary, more so than my other brews. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I rack to a "tertiary"? It is a relatively little amount compared to a primary, but still measurable (3/16-1/4"). I would rather not disturb it if I don't have to, but I am concerned about possible off flavors from sitting on the sludge too long.

thx

if you are going to age the beer for a long time (more than 3 or 4 weeks) would probably rack it again to get it away from the trub. But, if you are only going to let it sit in the secondary for a couple of weeks, you should be fine. I always have some trub in my secondary, and a few times, I've had a LOT of it. The beer was OK, though.

-walker

My last "big" beer had a lot of trub in the secondary. It bottled well and cleared up ok, but next time I think I will rack to a "tertiary".

loop

I only plan on going 1 more week max. I am taking a sample this weekend, and now I am thinking that I might just put it to bottles on Sunday.

i would just leave it, i always have some trub in the secondary. i think the risks of oxidation by racking a third time out weigh any benefit to a tertiary...unless its a really big, dark beer you plan on sittin' on for months...

Sounds like a plan. If you have any problems, let us know. I think mine turned out ok. But like I said, it is a "big" beer and after about 2 of them, I could be drinking chunks of trub and wouldn't know it!

loop

Cool. It isn't a biggun, it's just a red ale. I was concerned about the extra racking, but I am just going to take good advice, and RDWHAHB ( well, I will HAHB when I get home tonight. The boss doesn't like that stuff at work).

Not a problem with one week... would be fine with two even... after that I would certainly do as folks here suggest and rack.

Back