Mineral Content of Poland Spring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Anyone know the mineral content/profile of Poland Spring Water? (leading bottled water here in the Northeast)

I used this in my latest brew and the beer tastes great. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to use in recipies calling for soft water. In any case, it would be good to know the mineral content so I can modify the water if necessary.

I use poland spring quite a bit (our domestic water sux) and with good results. I recall getting water analysis from my local water board, from a local springwater company, and I believe I got the poland spring analysis from their website. If it's not there, email them. I think they are legally required to provide that information.

This may not be much help, but it was awhile ago that I looked into it. After I figured out that Poland springs was good stuff, I've been using it ever since. And yes, it works fine in recipes for lighter ales that demand soft water.

My wife and I always use bottled water to brew and haven't had a bad brew yet. I haven't checked in to the mineral break down of the water though.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Camiller,

Good technical data, that is just what I was looking for. Total dissolved solids of 33-57ppm indicate a relatively low mineral profile (mineral water is classified at 250+ TDS)
Knowing this now it looks ok to use out of the bottle for a pilsner (planning on attempting a German style Pils soon). I think some mineral salt additions for an English style pale would not be overkill either.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone could speak to whether Beer Smith's or Brewer's Friend are accurate in their estimates of the mineral content for poland spring. I know its available on their website but the data is presented as a range for the various minerals. I'm looking to adjust the water profile but need to know the baseline.

Any help is appreciated.

Since Poland Spring comes from a variety of natural springs in Maine, the mineral content can vary, which is why the published profile gives a range. I would select a mid-range for each of the given specs as your profile to cover most of what is available.

Back