Maple Sugar, Molasses, Brown Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CemeteryCellarsBC

Reaction score
I have a Brown Ale extract kit that I'd like to brew with one of the above three to spice it up.

Thoughts on how much and when would be greatly appreciated!

Adding sugar will most likely dry out your beer vs spicing it up. If you want to spice it up consider orange peels from lhbs or something like some steeping grains for flavor.
The sugar will get eaten and leave your beer drier vs more flavorful.

Consider grade b maple syrup. It has less fermenting sugars in it and will leave a LOT of flavor behind. Use it when fermentation has slowed down. Not in the boil.

Good to know!

Made a maple mead/wine with some in December 2011. Bottled it after just over a year. Went to almost 14% ABV and remained sweet (yeast could go to 14%). FG was about 1.008 (without looking at my notes). GREAT flavor from the syrup used. About $18/quart (you pay more for grade A typically) from Amazon (prime so no shipping costs). It's not easy to find grade B syrup in stores, which is why I ordered it online. I would advise using no more than a pint at first (in a 5 gallon batch) and sample it a week or two later. If you want more maple flavor, add the balance (or another cup) and repeat the process. :D

I'm getting ready to use more of the syrup I have on hand (got a good amount still) to make another batch... If you want to swing over to Nashua to sample, let me know.

Oh, and I plan on never buying grade A syrup ever again. :rockin:

Back