Kegerator troubleshooting tips please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsoph

Reaction score
I recently (3 weeks ago) built a dual tap tower kegerator for my husband. I got a bit lazy about building the CO2 tank shelf so we could only fit one commercial 1/6 keg to start with. That keg worked wonderfully. We tapped it and goodness flowed nicely.

I finally finished the shelf and we got a second keg. Tapped, pulled the handle, and the flow is so slow that the entire glass was just foam. I checked to make sure the valve on the regulator was turned on for this side. I tried shutting it off and pulling the release valve on the coupler to make sure CO2 was flowing through. When I turn the valve back on, I can see beer flowing through the beer line. I don't see any kinks in the beer line preventing it from flowing. We have the pressure set to 12psi.

Any tips on where to look next? We have perlick faucets on the tower. I'm really bummed the second tap isn't working. :(

what do you mean 'shelf'?

did you try to lay the CO2 cylinder on its side without installing an anti-siphon in it?

Sankey kegs. I'm going to try switching the couplers tonight to see if the issue follows the keg or if it always happens on the one side's setup. I know the CO2 is getting to the keg, if I close the CO2 valve, purge it using the coupler's purge, then reopen the CO2 valve, I can hear gas hiss and see beer going up the beer line towards the tower. It is just when I pull on the faucet, beer just drips out slowly and is all foam.

As for 'shelf'... it is a mini-fridge kegerator conversion. So I had to build a shelf to hold the CO2 tank in the back above the compressor in order to fit a second keg. Before that, we had it standing up still, but on the floor of the mini-fridge, so it took up half the fridge space.

Switch sides like you stated and see if it's a problem with the keg or the equiptment. It could be something clogging the beer line.

Thanks everyone for all your help. Spent the evening switching/swapping things, narrowed it down. After dismantling the faucet/shank/beer line, I found a small metallic object stuck in the shank. Took a forceful paperclip to remove, but now everything is flowing smoothly on both taps. Life is good again. :) Thanks all!

Back