New Cornelius Keg Smells of Oxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mink

Reaction score
I just acquired a new Ball lock keg for free. It looks to be in very good shape and is clean. All the o-rings seem to look good.
My problem here is that when i first opened the keg to look inside, a wave of oxyclean or bleach smell came rushing out. I have owned this keg for about 6 months now and haven't done anything about, but it is now time!
Is it okay to use for brewing, or should i scrub the hell out of it with my no-rinse sanitizer to get the smell out?

It wasn't used for carpet cleaning or similiar, right?
Anyway, I would changed the seals. Give it a good oxycleaning. BTW I never picked up a big scent from oxy.

I would first replace all the 0-rings just to be safe and they're super cheap. Then use PBW or Oxy clean to soak and then clean the keg. You can can soak the top end upside down in a bucket of cleaner as well.

Good Luck

I don't know what oxy smells like but the ones I buy I get from this guy who has pallets full of cornies. He bought them from the soda companies when they switched to bag in box. Anyway they have a strong concentrated sprite smell,not from soda but from this caustic that they used to use to clean them. Definitely toss the orings

It originally came from a bar that sold soda and switched to the bag type. It does not smell like syrup or pop of any kind - it smells like bleach or chlorine i guess. Not real positive on the smell buts its definitely a cleaning agent of some sort. I just don't want my beer tasting like chlorine or whatever it might do to the beer

Hopefully it's not bleach - bleach on stainless will cause pitting. Either way, I'd leave it open a couple days to see if the smell dissipates. After that, soak with PBW then rinse really well. Replacing the o-rings is a cheap and easy idea as well.

Latest posts

Back