Perlick 4-tap tower - should I use it, or sell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulus1

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a keezer. Gotten lots of great info by reading through the threads here - what a great resource! I'd like to go with a tower instead of a collar; I just like the look and feel better. At a local restaurant supply store, I found a brass, 4-tap Perlick tee tower like this one:

http://snurl.com/perlick-tee-tower

I got it for next to nothing. The tower is of course used, but I think with some Brasso could be made to look pretty nice again. However, the faucets and shanks were gone. I figured no problem - I already have a set of new Perlick faucets and shanks, so I thought I'd just sub them in and be good to go. However, when I opened the tower, I found a couple issues - first, the insulation is formed in place, meaning I need to literally rip it out to get at the insides (and then replace it). Second, the tower is a glycol unit - all of the shanks are built into a solid block, with attached lines for glycol. Since I don't think I can do glycol - I'll want to put a blower in place - I basically need to gut the whole unit.

So, now I'm wondering if it makes sense to take this nice ($1000! ) tower and gut it? I guess other options would include selling it as-is to someone who wants a glycol tower, or spend ~ $200 (for the right shanks, and new faucets) and sell it as a ready-to-go glycol unit. I could use the money to buy something simpler, or just make a nice wood tombstone-style tower (I'm a fairly decent woodworker).

So, what say you? Gut it and use it, or sell it? Do you guys think there is any chance of selling this for a decent price? Could I get my money out, if I spent $200 on shanks/faucets?

Thanks,

KJ

If you are at all comfortable with the concept of liquid cooling a pc, building a glycol setup is pretty much the same process (pump, lines, radiator/reservoir) and a bottle of anti-freeze. The tap tower acts as your water block. I might recommend placing the pump outside the cabinet though, since you would otherwise be cooling the pump heat which could easily be radiated outside with a couple of bulkheads. For a reservoir use a stainless container and leave that in the cold compartment and you would be set.

I haven't priced one, but a water tight container, some fittings, and a 30 dollar low velocity hobby pump is all you would have to put into it.

Wait, that is a terrible idea, tell ya what, I'll pay ya 50 bucks for that tower and dispose of it for you :)

Well, that's an great idea... I'd never thought of CPU cooling stuff. I could rig this up fairly easily and inexpensively. Probably less work than a forced-air system.

So, my next question is about the quality of the tower components. I had splurged and picked up all stainless components for my system - perlick 525SS faucets, stainless shanks & tailpieces. I'll need new shanks if I keep the tower, because the shanks are a special type that screw directly into a cooling block inside the tower. I've seen the shanks in brass for ~$22, haven't seen them yet in SS. Basically, all of the tower internals (block, tailpiece, beer line/tailpiece connection) are inaccessible as they are sealed in expanding foam.

What is the block likely to be made of? Assuming it is brass, am I compromising my beer quality by using this? Remember, it's an old system, ripped out of a bar, and set in a warehouse for maybe years.

I have a concern about the beer lines too... since I can't replace them, will it be possible to get them "clean enough"?

Back