What has two thumbs and is going pro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, we've been getting a lot of good press! (we were also in Buffalo Rising).

We need your help in another way, too. This one won't cost you anything but a minute of your time: we're eligible for 25 hours of ad work from Crowley Webb if we win their 25 Hour Workday. You can vote once per email address per day (they don't sign you up for anything or even send a confirmation email). If people could use all their emails and vote for us daily (or near daily, or hell even once) then we would really appreciate it. It could get us some free promo work right as we're set to open.

Just voted from afar (Anchorage, Alaska). Here's hoping you get the win!
(Oh, and if you're ever up here check out the Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzeria for some great pizza & micro brewed beer.)

Thanks to everyone, and again to Joe for backing our Kickstarter!

One of our owners knows a guy with a .au email address, so I figure we'll be the choice with the widest geographical variety of votes.

Voted. Will be passing this to friends in Rochester to vote also, and maybe I can convice some to contribute as well.

Awesome! We've slipped to second place today, and this injustice will not stand! (In all seriousness, all three options are great and deserve to win. We just are biased towards ourselves because, well, it's us.)

A therminator came with the brewstand we got from Psychobrew, which I think is all we're planning on right now. We're also going to be saving our chilling water (which will be warm/hot) in a solar tank so we can reuse it in future batches.

Thanks for voting, everybody! We've been in second for most of the contest but I have hope that we can pull out a victory.

Thanks for updating the thread! I've been meaning to, but time has been slipping away from me recently. There's just so much to do. If you're there tonight, come say hi! We're all cool people, but I'll be the one in the blue CBW shirt with the overgrown neckbeard.

I'm interested in hearing the legal runaround you probably had to go through. How does the licensing work? How do you account for taxes, etc? Are you limited to <10% ABV brews or doesn't it matter?

Well, licensing is a big issue so I might need you to be a little more specific, but here's the basic rundown of when stuff happens.

- Rent/lease building (yep, you have to be spending money for the entire 1-2 years of licensing)
- THEN: Apply for federal license (all owners have to list everywhere they lived/worked in the past decade, etc)
- (Wait)
- THEN: Apply for state license (ditto the live/work part, and you also need to be fingerprinted)
- If you're doing any construction on the building, it has to be done now.
- Get Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Compliance from the city
- Receive state license
- THEN: Apply for retail license to sell growlers

So, we're open and selling but can't fill growlers yet.

We have to designate a step after which the kegs are taxed. So we could theoretically have a keg in our fridge for drinking at the brewery that's not taxed (* I think: I'm the web dude, not the accountant, but I'm pretty sure this is the case) but once we move them to our main cooler they're considered taxed. Obviously anything we sell we have to tax.

Thankfully there are no limits on the abv of what we can make.

Awesome, thank you.

For some reason I thought anything >10% abv wasn't considered a 'beer' anymore and was regulated differently. But it must vary by state I guess.

Good luck, and keep us updated!!

Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make those dreams come true. You stuck it through and made it happen. My hat is off to you. Congradulations!!!

Latest posts

Back