First kegging today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerberbb

Reaction score
I just kegged a strawberry blonde today. Based on the info from the LHBS and the sticky above I did the following. I siphoned from my secondary into the keg which had been in the cooler at roughly 50 degrees. Set my CO2 tank to the beer smith recommended force carb setting of 22 psi. Rocked the keg under 22psi on my knee roughly 100 times, then turned down the pressue to 12psi and placed inside the kegerator at roughly 40 degrees. Am I on the right track, do I need to change anything, if not how quick before I can connect the out line and start drinking?

I use a corny and connect the gas to the beer out which makes the co2 bubble up through the keg. I do this slowly until 30, 35psi and let stand for 24hr.

I cold crash before I keg (whether that is the primary or the secondary). I prepare a gelatin solution and pour it into the corny & rack the beer on top. I can't stand waiting, so I crank the gas to 25psi and roll it back and forth on the floor for about 5 minutes. Then I turn the gas down to 10ps. It won't be fully carbed but it will be good to drink. After 24 hours, the gelatin has settled out and the carbonation is getting better and the beer pours crystal clear. After about 3 days sitting on the gas at 10psi, I find it to be perfect.

If you rocked it, and it absorbed the co2, you can sample it any time.

When you reset the pressure, did you purge the keg first? I assume you did, but if you didn't, it'll come blasting out of the tap VERY quickly, so I thought I'd mention it. I'd try it tonight. The first pull will have lots of yeast sediment in it, so you'll pour out about 1/2 pint or so, and then you should have a decent sample.

Back