Floating thermometer or dial thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the brew. I'd appreciate your thoughts on thermometers. A dial one like this one that clamps to a brew kettle:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/testing-measuring/thermometers/large-dial-thermometer-9-probe.html

Or a standard floating one?

Price isn't the issue ($12 for the dial and $6 for the floater), but anyone know about the accuracy of the dial models vs. the standard/reliable floaters? Accuracy's most important to me, but I figured that the dials are more convenient as they're easier to read and always in sight.

Big thanks for your input,
Nige

Yeah.....reaching into near boiling wort to check temp also isn't fun.... I'd go with the clamp on one.

Side note: Make sure you follow the manufacturers directions on calibrating the thing.... It seems like a waste of time I know...but wow what a difference... Even if it's the type that can't be adjusted...at least you'll know how many degrees it's off....

Back