the yeast cake, oh my the yeast cake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I brewed my blackeye IPA today. It uses S-05. I also kegged an American Wheat today that used S-05. I took advantage of this opportunity to pitch onto a yeast cake. 32 batches, and I hadn't been able to do this yet.

So I finished racking into the BB at 5:35. I just went downstairs (7:30) to check something and heard a strange noise. The damn thing had already blown up, and the blow off tube was going nuts.

I know that pitching on a cake causes a fast hard ferment, but I didn't expect to be blowing off in less than 2 hours.:rockin:

there pretty explosive. You should have probably only used 1/3 to a 1/4 of the cake though....you skipped the growth phase and went straight to fermentation

there pretty explosive. You should have probably only used 1/3 to a 1/4 of the cake though....you skipped the growth phase and went straight to fermentation

ok. What issues could that cause? Is the growth phase as important if you have that many yeast cells available?

ok. What issues could that cause? Is the growth phase as important if you have that many yeast cells available?

I'd say not really on a nice clean yeast like us-05. If you were using something for the purpose of a yeast profile, then the growth phase is key to getting the esters.

I brewed (2) 5 gal batches yesterday. One batch using a 1056 American yeast pack and the other using yeast cake of the same strain collected from my plastic conical with the same recipe. I never pitched a yeast cake before so I thought I would at least have one successful brew. I collected (1) qt and wasn't sure how much to use so I pitched the whole thing. A couple hours later I had strong activity but not out of control. What amount is sufficient from a yeast cake fro 5 gal batch?

Update -
I racked both batches the other day and they turned out wonderful. The yeast cake batch came out much stronger @ 6.58% Alc. The OG = 1.054, FG = 1.004. The batch using the starter smack pack is @ 4.73% Alc. OG = 1.046, FG = 1.010. I have kept the yeast cake and split it up this time in two 1/2 qt mason jars. I plan to repeat this again this Sunday. Not sure why the OG were different. Both batches were pretty much the same. i suspect a long brew day powered by consumption contributed to handler impairment.

I always like pitching onto a yeast cake when doable. And I'll also second that, S05 is quickly becoming one of my favorite yeasts to use.

~r~

1.004???? That's some attenuation! I've gotten rather high attenuation w/ US-05, but that high. Mash temp(s)? Are you sure of the OG?

Back