sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
im looking for a quick way to sanitize my bottles and ive read about sanitizing in the dishwasher...i dont think my dish washer has a really hot sanitizing function and i was wondering if i would just put sanitizer in the soap thing or how would be the best way to do this?

and sorry im sure theres tons of posts on this but i tried searching but found no quick answers and im getting ready to bottle now

From what I have heard, a dishwasher won't get liquid into each part of all the bottles, so if you could put sanitizer in the soap dispenser, it might not work. Just soak 'em in a bucket with your sanitizer, then use the dishwasher rack for draining.

If you have sanitizer and a bucket or clean sink, submerge the bottles until filled. With proper concentration of Iodine based sanitizer you only need a minute or more contact then empty bottle and turn upside down to drain. Why mess with the dishwasher? If you had done the dishwasher the night before without soap and just the heated dry cycle you would be ok.

If you don't think your dishwasher has a "Sanitize Wash" function, then it probably doesn't sanitize properly. You could try dumping sanitizer in the bottom of the dishwasher, but who knows if the sanitizer will actually go up inside each bottle? The heat is what really sanitizes the bottles, so you're taking a risk assuming it would work. Alternately, you could fill up your sink with sanitizer and dunk your bottles for a few seconds. Then set your bottles up to dry in your dishwasher. Even if your dishwasher doesn't sanitize it makes a great bottle drying rack! :mug:

I have been brewing for almost 4 years and this is how I sanitize my bottles. I make sure they are clean first. Then I put 2 cases in my dishwasher and put OneStep in the soap thingy. I make sure the jetdry thing is shut all the way off. I run them the night before and do not open the door until I'm ready to bottle.

I do not have a sanitize cycle, but I make sure that my temperture sense, heated dry and pots and pans buttons are on. I also keep the hot water heater set at about 140.

I have never had a bottle get infected.

Latest posts

Back