A mead to be opened in 20 years time ... suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelaidebrewer

Reaction score
One of the pleasures of mead making is of course the sheer pleasure in making something today that you can enjoy over the next few years. Some of us have first hand experience and some of us are just starting on this journey.

Now that I have young children I can appreciate how the years now pass quickly. Today I want to develop 3 meads (one for each child). The idea is to brew a large batch (23 litres) each time with the intent of having some bottles left for the child's 21st Birthday celebration, in the lead up I intend every 2 years on their birthday to celebrate the occasion by opening a small 375ml bottle...

I'd be interested in other people's ideas on recipes that they've done over time or would be good candidates to mature over time. As I'm new to this my key questions are:

1. It seems that Cysers and some Melomels will have a peak age of 1-3 years. I really want something that is going to come into its own in 10-20 so does this mean a traditional or spiced is the way to go?
2. with extensive ageing a high alcohol content is likely to be a good idea. Over 10 percent but are there recommendations
3. I thought adding fruit to the secondary (and racking off of course) such as rasins, dates might add some good complexity for the final product.

My thoughts as of today are:

Primary fermentation

3kg Blue Gum Honey (local to Australia) Quantities to be worked out
1kg Orange Blossom Honey (I live in the Orange capital of Australia) smaller quantity

2 Cinamon sticks
2 cloves

Volume of water to be worked out based on suggestions on ABV to aim for.

I was considering using a fruit such as apple juice, grape juice (or a apple and passionfruit which I'm seriously having second thoughts on) to replace some of the water, on second thought I'm not sure if it will add or detract from the mead in 20 years. Will the fruit cause the mead to age poorly?

Interested in your feedback if you've tried such a project and people's thoughts on alternate recipe(s) that I could consider

Many thanks

Adelaidebrewer

I'd be tempted to make a pure orange blossom honey mead. I think I'd go for a higher ABV since it would have plenty of time to age out. I'd also be sure to use synthetic corks as they're supposed to be the best for long term. There are so many choices out there, and so many of them would be good choices, you have to go with YOU like, or think you'd like. I just think the simpler, the better when it comes to long term bottle aging. It'll be interesting to see what others think & to see what you finally decide on. Regards, GF.

Edit: As far as fruit goes, I'm partial to plums & blackberries.

I will be doing the same. I will be choosing a varietal, and making a dry mead to about 15% ABV.

I really only like dry mead, so it is an easy choice for me. The yeast will make a big difference so do some research on those.

Some light spicing could be nice, but remember a little goes a long way and simplicity is tough to screw up.

Sounds like a great idea, and I wish you luck on your journey. I'm far from an expert mead maker, in fact my very first is in the primary as we speak. However, from what I've read I think you're on the right track. Something a bit stronger in flavor and alcohol bite will definitely benefit from the aging. I'd even consider a darker honey. I can get buckwheat honey regularly. It's got a great taste right now, but after 20 years I'd bet the complexity really comes out.

From what I've heard prickly pear mead ages extremely well. I might be doing a big batch of this soon myself

I'm not going to be much help with recipe development, but I will say you should send one of each to me at the same time you are going to open yours, so you will have a second unbiased opinion of the outcome :mug:

(oh yeah, I got to be that guy :D)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/21-year-mead-24813/

just for reference....if it was me i would deffinitly go upwards of 15%. If your going to be aging this thing for 20 years you will need the alcohol. Of the meads that i have tried which were very high alcohol and aged become very smooth. A showmead (just honey + water etc no juice....) a buddy of mine brewed with Orange blossom honey, water and nutrients was by far the BEST mead i had ever had so i would have to suggest that since i havent tried the other honey you mentioned. His was Dry and delicious and with age which reveals the honey character and a very nice nose. You will be very surprised with the flavors which come out after many years...

For the cinnamon, with a 5 gallon batch, i will usually use a single cinnamon stick because it will become cloying. They definitely have more of a kick than you would think...You will NEED nutrients since honey is devoid of pretty much anything, and with a mead this big, you will need to add them at multiple points. Rasins are a good idea because the tannin from the skins should help make it a bit rounder and ballanced. You could always use powdered tannin but i always used raisins. Good luck.

Ahhh yes- and a MASSIVE starter :)

Papazian just (well, a couple months ago) did an article on Gayre's old meads and included in the article was a recipe for brochet, which I jumped on right away. If you can't get it online, I'll try to dig up the back issue and post it.

If you go for a fruit mead, maybe try going for a fruit that's in season at the same time their birthday is. That way, if you have more than one kid and make a different mead for each of them, you can always just blame the fruit if one doesn't turn as well as the other. :)

"Sorry son, Jane's mead is better than yours because she was born during strawberry season and you were born during a drought where nothing grew. I told you to hang out for a bit in your mother's womb until the rain started up again, but you never did listen, did you?"

Just had an idea: What about using a different variety of honey for each batch? As you're in AU, you probably have access to honey varietals I've never even heard of. I've been itching to try a mead made from acacia honey, as it's truly the most delicate, floral & aromatic honey I've ever tasted. Maybe let each child taste a few varieties of honey & let them choose which one to use, maybe even let them help make it if they're old enough. Like I said, it's just a thought. Regards, GF.

Thanks everyone. On Saturday evening our daughter arrived to join her two brothers. With three children under 4 years old I figured that it was going to get busy when the missus arrives back from hospital (Wednesday) so I only really had Sunday night to get my act together.

I have a Traditional Orangeblossom mead in secondary at present so this mead will be the special event:

With the first 3 days of fermentation being critical watching pH, nutrient additions, de-gassing etc. I wanted to commence this activity before things get busy...

I raided the stores and ended up with the following logic and plan.
1. a high alcohol mead means that I can use smaller bottles. which means easier to store (for 20 years)
2. I had 3 kg of Blue Gum honey (native tree which when it gets hot the oils evaporate forming a blue haze, e.g. Blue Mountains in Sydney). I used that. Local supplier had a seasonal grape juice that my wife loved when she was pregnant, mixed grapes 2 bottles of that (4.8ltr), 4 ltr of apple juice, 1 clove, 1 cinnamon stick

I added DAP and yeast nutrient, Pot Bicarbonate for buffer, 2kg of honey added first day and after active fermentation the additional 1kg added. OG approx 1.092

so 2 days later added another 1kg of Blue gum honey and 3kg of Coorong Mallee Honey (stronger than blue gum taste).

I know the purists will probably hate the idea of this concoction, however it is a combination of the fermentables available to me. The samples for Hydrometer readings have tasted lovely, a sweet fruit drink with a good honey appeal. I expect that the meld will mature over time with the honey taking over in the later years. My inspiration is more from DOM Benedictine ( Benedictine : liquor - B&B - DOM benedictine ) a unique blend of 27 herbs and spices than mead.

However after saying all of this I have plans for fermenting a traditional mead straight after.

For those interested here is the plan.

I will use a small 200ml bottle ( http://www.galaimports.biz/images/products/ZD71127B-SSB1.jpg ) so that I can store 20-40 quite easily and with a higher alcohol content above 15% I'd only want to open a small quantity each time even if sharing with friends.
I will wax seal the bottles for that extra special touch. I have ordered gold and red wax from a wine industry supplier ( Australian Wax Co, Specialty Waxes, Beauty Wax, Beauty Wax Depilatory, Manicure and Pedicure Wax, Sports Wax, Surf Wax, Ski Wax, Horticulture Wax, Grafting Wax, Industrial Wax ) to wax seal the bottles.

I have sourced 6x5ltr glass carboys for bulk aging. As I don't have a cellar my plan is to split the batch and use rasins in the secondary for some parts of the batch. After 2 years I'll use potassium sorbate and bottle depending on taste.

Now that I have all the materials to create a wonderful product I am going to try and start a tradition for our family. Every birthday brew a 5 ltr batch and bottle into 200ml bottles. After 5 years start opening a single bottle on each birthday so that in a couple of years we end up with a vertical tasting for parents and godparents to enjoy ...

Just had an idea: What about using a different variety of honey for each batch? As you're in AU, you probably have access to honey varietals I've never even heard of. I've been itching to try a mead made from acacia honey, as it's truly the most delicate, floral & aromatic honey I've ever tasted. Maybe let each child taste a few varieties of honey & let them choose which one to use, maybe even let them help make it if they're old enough. Like I said, it's just a thought. Regards, GF.

This is what I will be doing.

Sibella Eavan Talbot will be welcomed with a 5 gallon batch made with 17 pounds of bass wood honey (1.125 SG), nutrient steps, and a huge starter of Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead yeast.

I just did a mead for my son who was born about 6 weeks ago. I posted an update with the recipe on my thread about the 25-year birthday mead: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/25-year-old-mead-99794/index3.html#post1297167

Thanks there, good thread. My thinking has matured somewhat since my last post.

I will be simplifying my anniversary mead to be a single varietal probably Orangeblossom honey or local other variety. shooting for 18% ABV and bulk aging in large screwcap flagons (after stabalising).

its going to be interesting ... thanks for your comments everyone

Back