Designing Dark Hoppy Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where to start for a dark hoppy ale?

• Imperial Pale Ale

• Robust Porter

• Black ale

• Brown Ale (as in Texas Browns)

Results are only viewable after voting.

david_42

Reaction score
Most attempts at dark hoppy ales seem to start with an IPA recipe. If you were designing one where would you start and why?

I would start with a brown ale, as they tend to be smooth, malty and nutty. I think that would make a good offset to the hop bite and flavor. I think the dark malts in the robust porter would be a little too bitter (for lack of a better term) to make a good offset for the hop bite, same with a black ale.

I started with making IPA's and IIPA's just trying to find the hop threshold of "undrinkably too much hops". Due to the law of diminishing returns, I believe that you reach a point when you just can't get it any hoppier. That being said, this course naturally led me to try an imperial brown and it came out quite nice. Here's what I did for a 6 gal. batch;

8# marris otter 2row
4# us 2row
.75# aromatic
.75# special roast
.75# chrystal 120
.50# cara pils
.50# chrystal 10
.50# choc.

.25 warrior 60 min.
.25 columbus 60 min.
.50 cenn 30 min.
.50 cascade 30 min.
1.0 cenn 10 min.
2.0 cascade 10 min.
1.0 columbus 5 min.

Added 1 # light brown sugar to boil for 10 min.

WL 002 English ale in 2000ml starter

dry hop with 2.0 oz. of Cenn. and 1 oz. of palo santo wood chips.

I will have this beer out of secondary and in keg in a couple of days, so we will see what we have?

Eastside

I brewed this recipe from my All Grain Mentor years ago. It rocks. I called it a Texas Tan.

ExperimentalBrownAle.png

Mash at 154 and pitch with a starter of WLP051

Interesting, although almost half of the votes are for IPA-based beers, only Brown-based beers are actually discussed.

I've tried a few black ales lately, and they were basically just pale ales with patent. I have been tossing this around in my head for a couple weeks, wondering what the point of the black ales was, and it seems to be more novelty than substance. And it seemed to be a waste...

I was thinking of making a black ale that was not 'stouty'; not really heavy bodied, and with more than a casual toss of hops. A black that didn't have a heavy coffee and chocolate taste, but that had the punch of a premium American IPA. Along the lines of a nutbrown, but dark and heavily DH'ed.

It would appear that you are more advanced into your consideration of this approach, so what are you thinking of doing?

I was thinking of making a black ale that was not 'stouty'; not really heavy bodied, and with more than a casual toss of hops. A black that didn't have a heavy coffee and chocolate taste, but that had the punch of a premium American IPA.?

That's exactly what the recipe I posted above does.

Saw this in the OBC discussions, via brewnews:

They need some fleshing out but here are proposed style guidelines:

Cascadian Dark Ale

Aroma: prominent NW hop aromas: citrus, pine, resinous, sweet malt,
hints of roast, toast, chocolate malt, and/or Carafa

Flavor: A balance between NW hop flavor, bitterness, sweet malt,
subtle toast and roast, chocolate, Carafa. Black Patent is acceptable
at low levels, but should not be astringent. Some brewers prefer to
cold steep the dark grains to achieve a very dark beer without the
tannin contribution of adding the grains to the mash.

History: A style which emerged on the Northwest Coast of North America
in the early 21st Century. Northwest hops are prominent, balanced with
malt, dark malts give color and flavor, but body should be reminiscent
of an IPA, not heavy like a porter or stout. The style is not only
gaining traction with brewers in the Pacific Northwest, but is
starting to spread to other regions.

IBUs 45-90
Abv 6-8.5%

Cheers,
Abram Goldman-Armstrong

The IBU range is probably too wide and needs to be reduced at the high-end. Note that " not heavy like a porter or stout" points it towards a Brown.

I'd start with a hoppy beer (IPA) and try to lend some roastiness to it...rather than start with a roasty beer and just kick up the hop profile.

May sub out some of the base malt with 1/2 pound of chocolate, 1/2 pound of roast barley and 1/4 pound of black patent.

Maybe back off a bit on the bittering hops since you've got the bite of the roasted malt and keep the hop additions late in the boil so the aroma/flavor come through the roast.

Most attempts at dark hoppy ales seem to start with an IPA recipe. If you were designing one where would you start and why?
I would go for the Dusseldorf Sticke Alt beer. Just brewed one on Sat from Dorst's book on the Alt style. It gets most of it's color from Munich and Caramel Malt not your roasted malts. I did use a little chocalte malt for color but using too much gives it the roasted malt character that you don't want in a alt. The bulk of the grain bill is still about 50 percent pils malt. This is one of my favorite german ale beers, it has a nice malty background with a good dose of bittering, flavor and aroma hops. I used a total of 7 ozs of hops in a 11 gal recipe. It's fermenting away right now at about 62 degrees.

I'd go for a Black Ale. The reason being this will open up the range of what hops will work. I have done lots of dark hoppy Ales, some have come off way better than others. The thing that I have found is you can get some odd flavor combinations with some of the dark malts and any of the C type hops (sometimes this works, other times it doesn't). Personally, if I do another attempt a Black Ale or better yet a Lager, something akin to Shwartzbier because the flavor is more neutral. I have a Porter on now, and I used my Cascades. It is ok but for this particular recipe I will do it with something like Fuggles next. I made a really dark beer once with extreme amounts of Summit (I think it was summit), Cascade and Simcoe. It worked very well.

I have not designed a hoppy dark ale, per se, but I did just brew one. I brewed Janet's Brown Ale, a Mike McDole recipe that he shared on the Jamil Show. I have it dry hopping right now, and it is an excellent beer. This beer has been brewed by a few other members here (in various forms) and has been very successful. I think one of the keys is to take into account the bitterness from the darker malts, the hop flavor needs to support that bitterness too.

Picture2-4.png

Last summer the Clybourn Ave. Goose Island brew pub had a small batch "mistake stout" on draft where they claimed they were brewed their regular brewpub shout, but accidentally added cascades early in the boil, so the brew master said F-it i'll dry hop it with cascades too.
It was awesome.
I'm going to try and re-create it by taking a standard 5gal dry stout recipe (such as JZ's) and adding .5oz cascades at 45min and dryhopping with another .5oz dry hopping in secondary for 7days.

We crossed a winter warmer with a baltic porter. After our hop schedule (which included 4 oz for a 5 gal batch), it is closest to a robust porter. For us, it was all about choosing the right hops. Our is very roasty, but the hops lend a good bitterness and flavor. We have also done batches with bitter orange peel, which intensified everything the hops contributed.

I love hoppy stouts, and recently, for the first time, had Sierra Nevada stout, perfection. Maybe a stout recipe with some carafa in place of a portion of the roasted grains, a big late hop addition and some dry hoppers. Janet's Brown also sounds delicious, I may do that one next batch.

to the OP,

Give the recipe Ed posted a try... the author of the recipe has turned out some great beers - he really knows what he's doing. I've had some of them first hand, trust me!

In case you are interested here is the Sticke Alt recipe I made based on Dorst Alt series book.

Sticke Alt 11 gals 90 min boil

Best Pils Malt 9 lbs
Best Munich I 2 1/2 lbs
Best Munich II 4 lbs
Best Cara Pils 1 lb
H.B. Med Crystal 5 lbs
H.B. Choc 1/2 lb

Step Mash
30 mins @ 122
15 mins @ 144
15 mins @ 156
10 mins @ 170

Bittering Hop 24.6 HBU Perle leaf 60 mins
Flavor 1 1/2 oz Mt. Hood leaf 10 mins
Aroma 2 1/2 oz Mt. Hood leaf put in right after turning burner off

Wyeast 1007 German Ale 1 gal starter

Burton Salts 2 tea for 90 mins
Irish Moss 2 tea last 15 mins

O.G. 1.060
T.G. Let you know in about two weeks

I made an Indian Brown, modeled after the DFH version, last spring. I was happy how it came out, though if I were to do it again I might up the aroma hop level a bit. Overall a tasty beverage! :)

3 lbs English 2-row pale
1.25 Crystal 60
.5 English Chocolate
.5 Biscuit

3.3 lbs LME
1 lb DME

1 ounce galena (11%) @ 60 minutes
1 ounce goldings (5%) @ 3 minutes

British Ale yeast

I haven't tried any of these yet, but this is a list of commercial beers that could be classified in the style:

Rogue Black Brutal
Phllips Black Toque
Barley Brown's Turmoil
Walking Man Big Black Homo
Pelican Bad Santa
New Holland Black Hatter
Laughing Dog Dogzilla

I'm thinking about trying one based on my Church of Chocolate brown. Maybe using Summit for aroma.

Back