Your Venison Chili Recipes....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made this with elk...(got the recipe from Emeril)

4 strips bacon, diced
2 1/2 pounds elk, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup chopped green bell peppers
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
Salt and pepper
1 cup grated Sonoma Jack cheese

In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until the fat is rendered, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and transfer to paper-lined plate to drain. Add the elk to the hot oil in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally and in batches if necessary, until well seared. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions, bell peppers and garlic and saute over medium-low heat until tender. Stir in the wine and the tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the dry spices, chopped tomatoes and the beef stock. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the sauce is very thick and flavorful. Add the elk to the pot and cook, stirring, until just cooked through and hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Check the seasoning and serve with the grated cheese.

WARNING: THIS CHILI IS EXTREMELY SPICY!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE, OR CAN NOT HANDLE VERY SPICY FOOD, THEN THIS CHILI MAY NOT BE FOR YOU.

2 lbs beef, pork sirloin, or venison cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 green bell pepper(diced)
2 medium onions(diced)
4(or 30) garlic cloves(minced)
salt to taste(usually not much)
3 tsp cumin, or to taste
Whole dried chiles:
12 anchos
20 guajillos
20 New Mexico hot reds
40 pequins
2 haberneros
3 bottles of beer...Porter(very important)(Also, add 3 bottles for the chef)
2 15 oz cans of black beans
2 15 oz cans of kidney beans
2 28oz cans of diced tomatos
1 tbs olive oil

Soak the dried chiles in hot water for about 2 hours, then drain. Slit the soaked chiles open and scrape out the pulp with a sharp knife. Remove as much of the seeds as possible before you scrape. Put the pulp into you blender or food processor with 1/2 cup of the soak water and blend until smooth. I don't usually scrape the pequins or the haberneros. I just pull off the stems and through them in whole after soaking them along with the other chiles.

In a skillet add the olive oil and saute your meat, onions, and green bell peppers. Transfer to your stockpot and add both cans of diced tomatos, cumin, salt, chile pulp mixture, and Porter. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add the finely chopped garlic and beans and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.

I like mine with just a little bit a a VERY sharp cheddar cheese. My wife usually adds a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream to hers.

If you want it milder, leave out the pequins, the haberneros, and substitue New Mexico mild red chiles for the Hot reds.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: I highly recommend wearing gloves, like the kind the doctors wear, while scraping the chiles. You should also wash you hands thoroughly BEFORE touching your face or any other sensitive parts of your body. I can speak from experience when I say that you should wash your hands several times before using the restroom.

I may or may not have some of this chili at my Festivus celebration next week. It depends on how much stuff I get done between now and then. I will probably also make a venison stroganoff with mushrooms. I just wish that I had some homebrew on hand. Oh well, this summer the pipeline and kegerator will be full and there will be much rejoicing at the Hounds Den.

WARNING: THIS CHILI IS EXTREMELY SPICY!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE, OR CAN NOT HANDLE VERY SPICY FOOD, THEN THIS CHILI MAY NOT BE FOR YOU.

2 lbs beef, pork sirloin, or venison cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 green bell pepper(diced)
2 medium onions(diced)
4(or 30) garlic cloves(minced)
salt to taste(usually not much)
3 tsp cumin, or to taste
Whole dried chiles:
12 anchos
20 guajillos
20 New Mexico hot reds
40 pequins
2 haberneros
3 bottles of beer...Porter(very important)(Also, add 3 bottles for the chef)
2 15 oz cans of black beans
2 15 oz cans of kidney beans
2 28oz cans of diced tomatos
1 tbs olive oil

Jesus fing christopher, what are the scovel units of this concoction?

Do you need one of these to eat it? :D

tng1.jpg

I've always done a regular chili with beans for my venison (which I have a freezer full of), but recently I was introduced by a guy on another forum to this recipe:

Tyler's Texas Chili Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

I'm hooked. He also suggested cubing the meat and searing it on the grill...and slicing up the onions into big pieces and grilling them too (on skewers), which I did, and am also a big fan of. The cinnamon is awesome! I found the first batch a touch too sweet, so I omitted the sugar the second time and it was perfect. Make sure you find good chocolate---my mom picked up these mayan chocolate balls from Mexico, but if you can find some Oaxacan variety, that's perfect.

I've always done a regular chili with beans for my venison (which I have a freezer full of), but recently I was introduced by a guy on another forum to this recipe:

Tyler's Texas Chili Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

I'm hooked. He also suggested cubing the meat and searing it on the grill...and slicing up the onions into big pieces and grilling them too (on skewers), which I did, and am also a big fan of. The cinnamon is awesome! I found the first batch a touch too sweet, so I omitted the sugar the second time and it was perfect. Make sure you find good chocolate---my mom picked up these mayan chocolate balls from Mexico, but if you can find some Oaxacan variety, that's perfect.

I actually have some mexican chocolate/cinnamon hot chocolate disks, that should work great!

I used them in my mole cookies that I posted here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/mexican-mole-style-icebox-cookies-93938/

This looks like a doable recipe.

:mug:

Jesus fing christopher, what are the scovel units of this concoction?

Do you need one of these to eat it? :D

tng1.jpg

Nope, but I do suggest having some baby wipes with Aloe on hand for the next day.

Actually, that recipe makes a HUGE batch of chili. When I make it, I usually freeze a bunch of it in individual sized containers and take it to work for a while. It seems like a lot of heat(and it is), but is very proportional. You don't just get a bunch of heat from this, there is a lot of flavor too.

If I ever get around to opening the "Brew -n- Q", this will definitely be on the menu. As well as my brisket and pulled pork.

Back