Several Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thestingers

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just made, or more correctly started to make some nettle beer. I added the yeast when it was warm (hopefully not too warm, took 6 hours to cool!!!) and it now looks a bit cloudy with a slight foam starting to appear on top (a day later). So, I think it looks OK, but my house is very cold for a modern house as I hate central heating.

So the above is not a question, but if anything looks worrying please let me know.

My real questions are these...

1) Does anyone know how long nettle beer lasts once bottled?

2) this is my main worry. Am I getting overly paranoid when it comes to sterilizing? I sterilize everything, and then find I can’t put anything down. I know that sounds darft, but I don't know where to draw the line as I’m unsure as to how sensitive this brewing game is to the odd germ!

3) is 25 generally the right temp to add the yeast in?

4) I was surprised at just how many yeasts are in the shops. Is there a good 'all round' one? I mainly make ale and light beers. But have been informed they all ferment differently, some on top, some at the bottom, etc.

Thanks for your time and sorry of these questions seem stupid.

Thanks

Dude, you seriously need to read this before your brew...I read the whole book before I brewed and had a friend over who brewed to give advice. Find a homebrew club if you can, they will help.

Don't apoligize for asking questions. That is what we are here for.

But to get all the answers in one place ( besides here ) you should go to this place
first like shertz said. Most if not all beginner questions are answered there. If you need specific questions answered, feel free to ask.
So now to answer some.

1 I imagine it will last years like any other beer.

2 Always nice to be safe, so continue to be paranoid ( although I'm not )

3 generally you shouldn't have your fermenter temps over 20c

4 If you haven't proper temerture control like a temperture controlled fridge, then most lagers are out of reach, but you can make some good lager like ales with the right yeast. I use Nottingham and US-05 for dry yeast.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips :)

I confess Im didn't get the temp before adding the yeast, but it was luke warm. Over a day later and a few bubbles are coming to the suface, so I guess its doing something. I want to get into brewing, but I want to make more natural drinks without too much modern day equipment. Hence, nettle beer and sloe gin, etc.

Thanks

Back