White blobs floating on top of beer - infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
Hi, I opened up one of my beers today to take a sample and there are whitish foamy blobs floating on the surface. Similar in texture and appearance to curdled milk. Is it an infection or just protein from the grain? No funny smells, but it strong vitamin C taste.

Thanks!

Probably not. Chances are it's bits of yeast or other regular beer material. RDWHAHB.

Thanks for the advice. Is there a way to check to see if it's mold? To be sure.

Hi, I opened up one of my beers today to take a sample and there are whitish foamy blobs floating on the surface. Similar in texture and appearance to curdled milk. Is it an infection or just protein from the grain? No funny smells, but it strong vitamin C taste.

Thanks!

Perfectly normal. The blobs are just coagulation of C02 still being produced. If you bottle condition, reember that your bottle is like amini fermeter and you'll get some residual effects of slight fermentation including krausen in the bottle.

Oh sorry I didn't mention this was still in the main fermenter. I guess my wording was slightly confusing. So is it coagulated foam, basically?

Oh sorry I didn't mention this was still in the main fermenter. I guess my wording was slightly confusing. So is it coagulated foam, basically?

Yep. Get a magnifying glass and those little globs will look like a good head on beer.

Whenever I dry hop, I get large, green shaded bubbles on the surface that really look knarly. It's just the CO2 blowing happy bubbles. :ban:

Its actually hard to infect your beer unless you completely avoid santizing, and drop contaminated objects into the wort.

even then, it might turn out fine.

Back