Boil. Then boil again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrillaRays

Mustard and Relish
Reaction score
In most extract kits, the instructions have you:

1. Steep a small amount of specialty grains for half hour or so.
2. Bring that liquid to a boil.
3. Remove from heat to add and dissolve the extract malts.
4. Then start the scheduled boil etc.

:confused: Am I making a mistake by skipping step 2 by not boiling the liquid from the steeped specialty grains, and going straight to dissolving the remaining extract malts and then proceed to the scheduled boil?

The only thing that I can think of here (#2) is that they are having you "mash out" the specialty grains and extract the unfermentables for body. The "remove from heat" is to prevent scorching of the extract as you're pouring it in (hits the bottom of the kettle in concentrate), don't skip that ;)

I think the. Point of #2 is to have the water as hot as possible to dissolve the malt syrup. I have done it all, stirred it in before boil, after boil and at end of boil based on time and hop efficiency.

Just make sure they are dissolved before putting fire back under it, that syrup goes straight to the bottom when you pour it in, no matter how hard you stir.

It's actually better to dissolve only a third (or half at the most) of the malt extract and boil that with your hop additions. Then at flame out, when the boiling is done, add the balance of the malt extracts. This prevents excessive caramelization, reduces risk of scorching, gives better hop utilization, and makes for a fresher tasting beer in the end. This is even more important when doing partial boils, where you top up with water after the boil is done.

+1. Less or no " extract twang" & lighter color result from late extract additions in partial boil situations. It also allows for better hop utilization as mentioned.

The reason extract kits have you bring it to a boil, stop and add some extract, then start again is to get you to a boil faster. That's it. If you want to add some of your extract right after the steep, and bring that all to a boil, that is fine.

Latest posts

Back