Pre-boil gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea_of_Shells

Reaction score
Greetings.

Partial mash home brewer here. Since I'm not doing a full boil (only about 4 gallons), is there even a point in taking a pre-boil gravity if I'm going to end up adding top off water post boil? I'd like to be able to calculate my efficiency. Will the top off water (and lack of extract) make it pointless? I know the top off water is added after the boil, but I'm just making sure.

Sea_of_Shells said:
Greetings.

Partial mash home brewer here. Since I'm not doing a full boil (only about 4 gallons), is there even a point in taking a pre-boil gravity if I'm going to end up adding top off water post boil? I'd like to be able to calculate my efficiency. Will the top off water (and lack of extract) make it pointless? I know the top off water is added after the boil, but I'm just making sure.

Pre boil gravity will tell you what your mash/lauter efficiency is in how well you extracted sugars.

Back