In Loving Memory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjwhite41

Reaction score
Yesterday I had the unfortunate task of euthanizing my 9 year old St. Bernard after a battle with Spondylosis and bone cancer. She was in all senses my best friend and I miss her deeply. I am hoping that writing this will be a cathartic experience for me and I encourage anyone to use this thread for this purpose. What follows is a eulogy for my wonderful companion.

Isabella da Ball (aka Bella, Belldozer, The Doze) was born in June of 2003 on a farm just outside Cedar Falls, Iowa and died December 27, 2012 in the loving arms of her adopted father in Osceola, Iowa. She is survived by her adopted father Bob (human), her adopted mother Courtney (human), her adopted brother Sullivan (human), her adopted brother Seuss (cat) and her adopted sister Bird (dog).

You came from a long proud lineage of purebred St. Bernards, including some past AKC champions. Your father King, was a hulking 260 pound behemoth that greeted me with a large loving hug and a gallon of drool when I arrived to adopt you. When I first saw you, you were tackling your brothers and showing them who was the boss. Unlike your brothers and sisters you had a full mask and you were extremely outgoing. I instantly fell in love, so after a brief introduction we drove to our new home in Osceola to begin our life together.

You had a penchant for eating things (imagine that). Within weeks of arriving in our new home you decided that baseboards were a snack and window blinds were chew toys. You continued this failed logic throughout your life, twice eating tube socks that required emergency surgery to remove and frequently decided that women's underwear should be removed from the hamper and relocated to the back yard in a horse sized pile of dog poop. Her favorite foods were t-bone steaks, Doritos and pizza. Her favorite drink was Captain Morgan and Coke. You absolute hated craft brew but did enjoy an occasional light american lager. I forgive you this transgression.

You never met a person you didn't love (except for a police officer who was creeping around my house with a flashlight looking for some vandals). I remember when you got away from Courtney one summer afternoon, raced down the alley and proceeded to tackle and lick some unfortunate neighbor kid. Luckily he survived his near heart attack. Sometimes you just couldn't hold back your love wanting to lick and love all visitors to our home.

I remember your irrational fear of basements, especially basement stairs, and your inability to jump for than 2 inches off the ground. I remember when you used to take up 3/4 of the bed and how you would kick and talk in your sleep. I remember the time I leaned over you to set the alarm clock and you decided to rip my nipple ring out (I forgave you for that, but took out the other one out to be safe). I remember how you watched football (with your Fighting Irish shirt on) and hockey with me never once asking to watch anything else. I remember how you loved watching Beethoven and the Puppy Super Bowl during halftime of the slightly more popular NFL Super Bowl. I remember how you came running in from the yard with 2 bunnies in your mouth but most of all I remember how you dropped their slobbery bodies when I asked you to and we watched them hop away terrified but unscathed. But most of all I remember how much love you had to give.

You taught me so much in 9 years that will never be forgotten. How to live happy and joyous. How to appreciate every moment. But most importantly how to love unconditionally and how that love can change the lives of those around you. So though I sit here and cry uncontrollably while I type this I know that you and I will never be separated. For you will always be in my heart and I in yours as we have always been. I will take the lessons you have taught me and shower love upon all that I meet in honor of you. I miss you and I love you my beautiful, kind-hearted, good natured 150 pound lap dog. This world would not be the same had I never met you. Good bye sweetheart, you will never be forgotten.

Sullivan & Bella.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing your story. We recently received diagnosis of cancer in our 10yr old Blue Heeler. A large tumor developed on his anal gland in less than 6 months & was removed a few weeks ago. Follow up ultrasound yesterday shows lymphoma & they are giving him 5-6months.

Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing your story. We recently received diagnosis of cancer in our 10yr old Blue Heeler. A large tumor developed on his anal gland in less than 6 months & was removed a few weeks ago. Follow up ultrasound yesterday shows lymphoma & they are giving him 5-6months.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Even when you have time to prepare for it, it doesn't make it any easier. Feel free to use this thread for your tribute when the time comes.

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's so hard losing a pet. They truly become one of the family. You miss that welcoming lick everytime you get home from work. I've been without a dog for three years now after having one everyday of my life. Not a day goes by that I don't miss having a dog around. She was a beauty. What a great eulogy you wrote in her memory.

Back