Help BCS 462 wiring Schematic/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I have posted here, but system is up and running. We have the hot side set up for manual and/or auto control as well as cold side running keezer, ferm chamber and aux. Brewed on it 5 or 6 times now and wish we had the power to run both simultaneously. We are doing 20 gallon batches so our brew-day goes something like this.
Single Batch- Fill HLT 24 gallons and MLT with required strike water and set BCS to come on 4 hours before brew day. Once HLT hits 205º the BCS turns on the Mash pump and begins recirculating the strike water through the HEX until it hits strike temp. It turns off and waits for us to mash in. continue to mash either single step or mash steps depending on the recipe. We keep the HLT at 205 until we mash out. Then the HEX brings the temp down of the HLT to sparging temps. Once the element in the BK is covered we turn on the element. Depending on how fast we run off determines how long to boil, but usually around 20-30 minutes. We then boil, whirlpool, knock out and inline oxygenate into the fermentor.
Double batching gets a little trickier trying to keep the HLT full and up to temp at all times. We started using and auxiliary Burner to heat the strike water which seems to speed things up a bit.
A single batch usually takes us 7 hours and a double 11ish.
brew.jpg

hot.jpg

hot-wires.jpg

o2.jpg

Very nice setup! Looks great.

One question, where is your BCS mounted? Don't see it in your control box.

They have it in a separate box :) Its a really good idea... especially if you have a 462, so you can use it for controlling your fermenter and keezer without having to leave your control panel on. I think its what I'm going to end up doing as well :)

Mounted in another enclosure pictured earlier in this thread. It runs keezer and ferm as well so I thought it is better off keeping it together with that.

Beluedog,
Thanks for documenting your build,its helping me tremendiously.
I have one question. On your panel diaogram you have the CAT 5 coming from you BCS panel (ferm panel) and its labled "Cat 5 remote com Bcs outputs /12v. The legend for you main panel also shows a navey blue wire as 12v coming from the ferm panel. I thought all BCS outputs were 5 v Dc? Your BCS diaogram doesnt show 12v coming from the ferm control box, it indicates the 5v output from the BCS through the cat 5 to the main panel. Can you help me understand this?

Depending on how fast we run off determines how long to boil, but usually around 20-30 minutes. We then boil, whirlpool, knock out and inline oxygenate into the fermentor.
o2.jpg

In the last picture where you are pumping in o2 on the way to your conical, is the line coming in at the end your o2 line? Or do you have a separate tap for SG readings, taste tests etc.? If it is an o2 line, is there wort in the line?

Do you use a stone for o2? If you're not using a stone, a trick I learned from owning a saltwater fish tank, is to run the o2 line to the input of your pump - of course you cannot blast o2 in, at the risk of cavitation, however, the bubbles get sucked into the impeller and it breaks them into many tiny little bubbles, which will improve the take-up of o2 in your wort.

Nice set-up! I like the system!

Cheers!
Max

Back