First cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatyboy

Reaction score
I tossed together my first cider last night. 3 gallons of peach cider. I put in .5 cup of brown sugar (about 5oz) with the OG being 1.074 @ 68 degrees. I'm using US-04 yeast. I checked the air lock this morning and it wasn't clogged so much as the bubbles from the co2 were forcing peach into it. I popped it out and replaced with another clean airlock. Guess I'm gonna have to keep my eye out on it over the next few days. I'm going to leave it in the primary until I get around 1.005 or there about. I plan on back sweetening it with some Splenda to taste.

Now my question. With that information, about how long can I expect to wait for that? I know higher the OG the longer it needs, I just don't want it getting down to around 0.090 and making it super dry.

Give it 2 weeks and pull a a sample for a gravity measurement (and taste, don't let those samples go to waste...). Ale yeasts in general won't go down that far do to their tolerance level. Always good practice to take a measurement regardless of the yeast you use.

Should I rack to a secondary to try and clear it out or just go straight to bottle, carb then pasteurize? Plus seeing as I'm using ale yeast am I gonna have to add some sugar to get my lil yeastie buddies chewing again or bottle and give it a few weeks and pop a top to check on carb?

Back