How much pure oxygen to use to aerate with my regulator - w/ PIC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hello,
I have the below regulator on a E size medical oxygen bottle.
The regulator has different, what I call, flow rates preset.
I can definitely here the flow change as I turn the regulator up/down.. so that seems fine.

So what I am hearing is set this at 1.5 and run a line to my stainless aerate wandstone .5 micron and let it go for about 2 minutes in a wort of around 1.050?

What is that right?
As long as there is not a lot of bubbles coming up I am fine?
Do I just swirl the wand around or just let it set in the same spot for x time?
Is there an issue with too much oxygen?

FYI - I will be using S-05 in the next brew.

thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions.
Kevin

6796501384_d9d05df241_z.jpg

The .5 setting is what I use for 60 seconds and that may be over kill. I read somewhere that .1 is good and you just want to barely break the surface with the bubbles, but .5 is as low as mine goes.

You are unlikely to over-oxygenate, although personally for a 1.050 brew I would probably try 60 seconds.

You should also know that aeration is supposedly unnecessary when you are using dry yeast--so your S-05 brew doesn't benefit from the pure O2. Having said that...I seem to see more vigorous fermentation after using pure O2 even with dry yeast.

There is a brewing network show about aeration and oxygenation that goes over this topic. I don't remember exactly what Jamil said he did, but I think it was something like a liter a minute for a minute, I could be wrong. 12-15 PPM is ideal for yeast according to Wyeast

Back