DIPA recipe advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkaese81

Reaction score
Looking for advise on this recipe or maybe a hey it looks good, the only thing I am debating is my hop schedule right now, any suggestions. The grain bill is what it is, yes I am looking for a more sweeter DIPA. thanks!

DOUBLE IPA RECIPE 1.093/1.023 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill
14 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (40L)
1 lb. - Munich Malt (10L)
1 lb. - Carapils
Hop Schedule (98 IBU)
2 oz - Magnum (60 min.)
1 oz - chinook (30 min.)
1 oz - Centennial (10 min.)

1 oz - Centennial whole leaf - Dry Hop in secondary
1 oz cascade -dry hop 7 days
1 oz columbus- dry hop 7 days
1 oz centennial- dry hop 7 days
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 150° to 152° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 66° to 68°

Even for that much grain I think that's a big dose of Magnum!! I would scale that back to 1.5 ounces or perhaps switch to something a little smoother. I would also lose the 30 minute addition and beef up additions in the last 10 minutes to get more aroma. I also like to mash a little higher with my IPA and IIPA's in an attempt to keep the FG a little higher.

YMMV

Good luck :)

Alan

yeah I might cut that magnum down to 1.5 oz, maybe take the chinook and do that at 15 and keep the centennial at 10. But how dose the dry hop schedule look?

Question you have to ask yourself with your DIPA is are you looking for a bitter forward or hop floral finish? I brewed up an IIPA based on the tits up IIPA and I kept the majority of my ibu's for the final 30 minutes on a 90 minute brew. If you're interested, here's the link to the recipe. http://hopville.com/recipe/996934/imperial-ipa-recipes/hard-nipples-iipa

It came out with a similar profile to Long Trail brewmaster DIPA. I also took the same recipe minus the dry hop and upped it to 15 gallons for an IPA. I like the IPA better.

Instead of the Chinook addition at 30 min, you could bumb that to a First Wort Hop. That would get you some nice hop aroma and flavor. The general consensus (that I've seen at least) is that any addition after 60 and before 20 is kind of a waste of hops.

Personally, I would mash a little higher. I like my DIPA's to be bigger like Maharaja. I would probably move the Chinook to 20 mins; I think 30 min additions just don't offer enough flavor. Also, not sure about the dry hop schedule. You have 1 oz Centennial listed twice but have the first as a secondary dry hop and the others as a dry hop. It sort of suggests you are gonna dry hop the other 3 oz additions furring primary which I would hope is not the case. If all 4 oz go in the secondary, I think 2 oz of Cemtennial is really gonna mask the other hops. I would do 2 oz Cascade, as I find it's aroma relatively light, and 1 oz of the other additions each.

Also, from reading everyone's comments I feel like everyone likes different things in there DIPA's

I would keep the 150F mash but bump it up to 90 minutes. You are gonna get plenty of sweetness from the C40 and need to make sure you get complete conversion of the rest.

WhenInMinnesota said:
Instead of the Chinook addition at 30 min, you could bumb that to a First Wort Hop. That would get you some nice hop aroma and flavor. The general consensus (that I've seen at least) is that any addition after 60 and before 20 is kind of a waste of hops.

FWH for flavor and aroma? It's gonna get boiled off you know.

rockfish42 said:
Cut the crystal down to 3% or less, add some sugar to dry that sucker out.

He wants sweeter. I would half the crystal and drop the Munich but that isn't what he's going for.

Woops, ignore my advice about dropping the crystal, that's what I get for speed reading.

rockfish42 said:
Woops, ignore my advice about dropping the crystal, that's what I get for speed reading.

Don't feel bad. I missed that whole first bit the first time through. I skipped straight to the recipe and came to the same conclusion as you before reading back through.

Back