What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stepped up a starter - check this out: I put the dregs of a single bottle of Oberon into 150 ml of sterile wort and let it go on the stir plate for 48 hours. Last night I stepped it up to just over a liter and this morning it is rocking! Huge krausen, wonderful beery aroma. Awesome.

Put my Maris Otter/ Mosaic SMaSH (MOMSmash) in the fridge to cold crash. I like cold crashing in the fridge instead of just cranking down the temp in the chest freezer fermentation chamber. Since it's off the ground a couple feet I can rack it to a keg without moving it immediately after cold crashing and not stir up any sediment in the process.

Just got back from picking up two free plastic brewing buckets. I knew one was a 5 gallon and that one is a 6.5, but didn't know the bigger one has a spigot, so I'm happy. They are very clean and still white as a wedding dress, so I'm planning to give them a cleaning and a sanitizing and put them to work. Think I might just take advantage of that spigot and bottle the next batch so I can give most of it to my son.
Now I'm off to put some gelatin in a keg... first time for that.

Cleaned 3 three kegs & the respective kegerator lines. All three kicked w/ in 48 hours.
I need to get busy brewing. Only two beers in the pipeline.

Cleaned 3 three kegs & the respective kegerator lines. All three kicked w/ in 48 hours.
I need to get busy brewing. Only two beers in the pipeline.

I had both of mine kick in successive pours tonight. :( Cleaned out my beer lines, sanitized them, and threw a keg in the kegerator to hopefully have one keg on tap tomorrow. I have 2 beers and 2 apfelwein fermenting but need to get brewing...

Even though it's 1:07 am I'm in the process of adding gelatine to a keg. I'll also put the gas on it tonight because the current keg is going to kick very soon...like the next pint or two.
My plan tomorrow is clean, maybe brew and then pick up a 5 cf Craigslist freezer that the guy wants $15 for.

Scrubbed about a case of bottles, in rotation & not delabeled. Had a grain bag & some hop socks that got stained from the stout soaked for a week that rinsed clean as new today. PBW worked great @ 1.5ozs per gallon.

Gathered ingredients for my next brew. Made a yeast starter also. Attended a beer tasting event at my LHBS. Getting ready to brew tomorrow am.

Brewed an IPA with that Bell's yeast (BTW, when I decanted the starter, it smelled great - it had those great pineappley Oberon esters. The basement where I had the stir plate is about 72-74, so we may be on to something about how to get those esters out of that yeast.)

Then I pressure canned a bunch of starter wort using an extra quart or so of the IPA diluted in a couple more quarts of unhopped extract wort. That way, the whole lot of starter wort has a little bit of hops to it.

Just tapped the keg of Maris Otter/ Mosaic SMaSH I filled yesterday. After force carbing at 30 PSI for 31 hours it's nearly perfectly carbonated and amazingly clear.

The Mosaic hop is interesting. I've never used it before, and just decided on a whim to use it in the same recipe I used Centennial in a few weeks ago. There's much more hop flavor from Mosaic than Centennial using the exact same hop schedule and the Maris Otter is not nearly as dominant in the flavor profile. It's easy to spot the Simcoe roots.

Just tapped the keg of Maris Otter/ Mosaic SMaSH I filled yesterday. After force carbing at 30 PSI for 31 hours it's nearly perfectly carbonated and amazingly clear.

The Mosaic hop is interesting. I've never used it before, and just decided on a whim to use it in the same recipe I used Centennial in a few weeks ago. There's much more hop flavor from Mosaic than Centennial using the exact same hop schedule and the Maris Otter is not nearly as dominant in the flavor profile. It's easy to spot the Simcoe roots.

I've found a centennial (Bitter), citra, and mosaic combo is very tasty.

I've found a centennial (Bitter), citra, and mosaic combo is very tasty.

My next SMaSH is going to be with Citra if I can find it. Right now I'm making lots of them so that I can learn the flavors. Eventually I'll start making recipes with different ingredients, but for now I'm still trying to figure out which ingredients contribute which flavors.

Citra and Mosaic are just fantastic together.

I bottled my Mosaic IPA, SonRise IV, tonight. Eight batches in, I have my volumes dialed in. 42 12 oz, 2 32 oz. not shabby.

The more of this Mosaic smash I have...I'm a few pints in now ;)...the more the name mosaic makes sense. It's a very complex hop (in my relatively unlearned opinion).

After a lengthy life got in the way of brewing time, I brewed a I blackberry wheat followed by a nutmeg brown both off LME this week. The recipe called for 1 oz of hazelnut extract but I got excited and poured 2-2.25 oz. I didn't dump the brew but am a bit apprehensive about it. Anyone have any experience with this one??

Was planning a honey blonde on my wife's request today. Planned a simple recipe with pilsner, honey malt, mosaic and citra hops and some local honey to add to the fermenter. Went to ballast point's homebrew mart where they also have a tasting room. After getting my ingredients decided to grab a few tasters (so what if it was 10am) and tried a Belgian style saison with honey... Ended up grabbing some WLP565 instead of the US-05 I was planning. Brewed a very different beer than I set out to but I am sure it will be much more interesting and tasty.

Had a pretty productive day (yesterday). Cleaned out 4 dead kegs, promptly re-filled them. Cleaned out fermenters immediately because we all know how things go if we don't do that one. Also replaced one of my 2 temp controllers that was faulty. The "Cool" cycle would turn off but the relay wouldn't. Rather glad I caught that when I did or things could have gotten ugly.

Also swept and mopped most of the condo. Not directly beer related but it was just a couple of those days to do 100 small tasks. Currently heating the strike water for mashing in some Centennial Blonde.

Stepped up my starter of Belle Saison to 2L! Going to harvest about .5L and pitch the rest tonight.

Ordered ingredients for a Pyramid apricot ale clone (my dad's favorite beer) I will do for his birthday. Also ordered ingredients for my first 10 gal batch which will be the Grapefruit Sculpin IPA clone...easily the best IPA I've done to date.

Took advantage of a big sale at Northern Brewer and got their "Luuuuuc!" IPA kit. I was at the store when Lucroy was there signing autographs and they were handing out samples of the beer, but I didn't get it then. Been kicking myself ever since.

Just kegged my mandarina helles, dropping the temperature on it now and dry hopped it. Took a sample of my wheat saison, still has a ways to go.

Brewed my blonde Swill again, tried running the grains thru the mill twice. I had stuck sparge and a few dough balls for my effort and 3 more gravity points.:mug:

Bottled Sculpin IPA - split 5 Gallon butch into two.
Bottled 2.2 gallons (21 bottles- 18 regular 12oz bottles, 3 bombers 22 oz). Added grapefruit zest to remaining ~3 gallons.

Sent some to its final destination (i.e. drank it) and changed out some ice bottles in the water bath around my IIPA that I brewed yesterday.

I stopped by Adventures in Homebrewing and picked up a bunch of stuff.

50 lb. sack of Malteurop American 2-row for $40
Some Munich malt, Brown malt, crystal 60, and special B.

Wyeast 1469, BRY-97, and T-58 yeast.
A jar of gypsum and a hunk of cheesecloth.

The only taxable item was the cheesecloth.

It was a fun day at the LHBS.

Back