Nutty Nut Brown Ale - Suggestions Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bds3

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for a really good nut brown ale. I'm usually disappointed by the lack of "nuttiness," or caramel flavoring, or toasted malt, or however you want to describe what makes a nut brown a nut brown, in commercial brews.

With the only good thing about fall and winter too quickly approaching being my love for stouts and browns, I need to brew a brown, stat. So please post your recipes--or a link to a kit online--for a brown that really truly has a good nutty/caramel flavor.

Thanks.

I've made nut browns similar to what captain posted. I would suggest bumping up the special roast to about 1/2#, because, imo, that is what makes a good nut brown.

Good call Avidhomebrewer. When you get right down to it, you could do a lot worse than just doubling all the specialty grains in that recipe. Although I would suggest that rather than doubling the chocolate malt, replace the 4 oz of chocolate with 8 oz of pale chocolate malt. It's got a roastier, grainier flavor than regular chocolate malt which tastes a little burnt to me. It's very similar to the difference between medium-roasted coffee and French- or Italian roast.

Back