How long is temp control important

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
I brew a wheat 10 days ago, it is still in the primary. Do I still need to worry about my temp control or is it ok by now

There are many threads on this one, but the short answer: Most important during the first 48 hours, moderately important for the next 5 days, and progressively less important from there. I wouldn't let it get too warm, but room temp is likely okay by now.

I have had good success with two weeks in the fermentation chamber at 65, then moving to the spare bedroom for two weeks, at 70ish.
I don't think you ever (ideally anyway) want large temperature swings, i.e. don't pull it out of the 65 ferm chamber and leave it in the garage where it could hit 90+.

Not sure you can really go by # of days. IMO it's the SG that will determine what you should/shouldn't do. You could have a very cool fermentation on a big dark lager that's still got a ways to go after 10 days, or you could have an ordinary bitter fermenting at 65 that will hit FG within a few days.

Depending on your fermentation temperature, yeast, etc. I wouldn't expect you to have much to worry about on day 10 with a wheat beer--but the only way to know for sure is to break out the hydrometer.

Back