Fermcap + PacMan = Clumpy Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I brewed an Amber Ale last night - chilled it down to 65, aerated, put about 5.75 gallons into my 6 gallon better bottle and added a large slurry of Wyeast PacMan that I had stepped up a few times. I also added the recommended dose of Fermcap directly into my better bottle before capping it up.

At about 12 hours upon the first signs of active fermentation, I started seeing clumpy clusters of gunk right away on the surface - it looks a lot like yeast flocculating right at the surface of the beer before there was any sign of krausen. Almost 24 hours later, there is the healthy looking layer of Krausen that I typically see, but there are still these clumps just below the surface that I don't usually see this early. The two pictures below KIND OF show this - the flash on my phone makes the clumpy stuff harder to see on the second photo.

I'm pretty new to Fermcap in the fermenter - is this a typical reaction? Or is this just typical with PacMan yeast? Or is something fracked? I've been brewing for almost 2 years, and this seems pretty early to see this much flocculation.

showphoto.php

IMG_20110109_215349.jpg

EDIT: I can't image link to the pictures I uploaded into my user profile, and can't see how to attach pictures from the additional options. Try these links below for a shot of the krausen from top, and a somewhat kind of crappy side view of the apparent flocculation below the surface.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/IMG_20110109_215137.jpg
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/IMG_20110109_2153491.jpg

I've noticed that when I ferment Pacman at the bottom of its temp range, it gets clumpy like that. I wouldn't worry; it's produced some great beer for me that way.

Thanks for the reassurance, Corwin. The Krausen is looking more "normal" as time goes by - still some flocculation clumps just below the surface, but there is a rolling convection of activity going on in there at approximately 48 hours at only 62 degrees F. The yeast appear to be doing their job well.

Back