He offered to build me brewing equipment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancingbarefoot

Reaction score
So I was out on what was probably a date tonight - it can be so hard to tell with some guys - and he brought up brewing.

I asked him if he wanted to help me brew my next batch, and he was very enthusiastic about it. Then he asked what kind of beer I was thinking of making, and I said I wasn't sure yet. He suggested a lager, and I said that I didn't have the equipment to keep it at the right temp. His reply? "We could just build something."

Be still my heart! A guy who offers to help me brew AND build gadgety stuff with me? :D :ban:

LOL, if i found a woman that wanted to brew with me that'd be my first question to her after, "What do we brew first?"

Wow- that's great. See if he can build a new MLT while he's at it. Heck, I'm not above using a man for his mechanical skills.

Seriously, have fun with it. It would be awesome to have someone to brew with, and to help drink the results.

Lorena

dancingbarefoot said:
So I was out on what was probably a date tonight - it can be so hard to tell with some guys - and he brought up brewing.

I asked him if he wanted to help me brew my next batch, and he was very enthusiastic about it. Then he asked what kind of beer I was thinking of making, and I said I wasn't sure yet. He suggested a lager, and I said that I didn't have the equipment to keep it at the right temp. His reply? "We could just build something."

Be still my heart! A guy who offers to help me brew AND build gadgety stuff with me? :D :ban:
Where were you and Yooper Brewmistress when I was looking for a wife? :(

In all honesty my wife has been a good sport about the whole thing and has even got me brewing stuff as gifts.

Catfish said:
"Him" would be more polite!!;):ban:

Mwahaha! I'll try to be good. ;)

It's exciting to have someone interesting in brewing with me in the first place. The fact that I like the guy is a nice bonus. Now I just need to decide on a recipe for the next batch!

Just....

If it's not clear if it was a date or not, be careful. My wife's last "boyfriend" before we met (co-incidentally, also a homebrewer) was a lot like that, she never really know if they were a thing or not. She ended up getting hurt really bad - worked out for me, so I ain't bitchin' - so, be careful. Have fun, enjoy yourself, take advantage of whatever he wants to give you, but don't get yourself hurt.

the_bird said:
Have fun, enjoy yourself, take advantage of whatever he wants to give you, but don't get yourself hurt.

Definitely good advice. Trying not to get my hopes up, either, but that can be difficult. We'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile, someone to lift full carboys instead of me trying to slide them across the floor. :eek:

I don't know why, but this kinda reminds me of how I got my wife to start dating me....

We were in college and my wife was friends with some guys that I knew. Well, me and a good friend of mine wanted to get my wife and her old roommate that was visiting to hang out with us by the lagoon. It was the place where everyone hung out on nice days and drank.

Anyway, my wife and her friend split a case of beer with these other two guys and they were sort of cock-blocking us. They kept moving – basically trying to get away from us. So, I had the BRILLIANT idea of stealing their beer when they weren’t paying attention.

It worked like a charm! Not only were the girls ticked at the other guys for losing their beer, we were the heroes for being more than willing to share our beer with them.

I eventually told my wife the entire story and we still laugh about it to this day.

dancingbarefoot said:
Definitely good advice. Trying not to get my hopes up, either, but that can be difficult. We'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile, someone to lift full carboys instead of me trying to slide them across the floor. :eek:
I am a heart attack survivor, but I sometimes still lift items in excess of 200 lbs (know...I'm a bad boy...), so I place all my carboys in milk crates and sometimes move them around on a dolly. That's where all my boxes of DME are...on a dolly. I just roll them into the basement kitchen from the storage room.

Incidently, the dolly's I have are from Menards on sale for about @14.99. The LHBS sells those round ons for 9.99, but they are the same ones for moving large potted plants...at Walmart for 4.99 sometimes.:D

dancingbarefoot said:

I don't want to sound like a bummer, so, sorry if I was...

I'm happy for you, it's been so long since the first date with the wife... my last first date, ever... Gah! is that how people start having affairs? They miss that thrill? Can I at least live vicariously through you for a while?

Yooper Brewmistress said:
Heck, I'm not above using a man for his mechanical skills.
Me first, me first!

I'm good with metal/welding/fabrication, etc.

Also skilled in hydraulics, piston action, and lubrication...mechanically speaking, of course!

rdwj said:
Anyway, my wife and her friend split a case of beer with these other two guys and they were sort of cock-blocking us. They kept moving – basically trying to get away from us. So, I had the BRILLIANT idea of stealing their beer when they weren’t paying attention.

Nice way to lose a few pearly whites in my neck of the woods, lol.
You were lucky it worked out.:)

boo boo said:
Nice way to lose a few pearly whites in my neck of the woods, lol.
You were lucky it worked out.:)

Nah, we actually sort of knew the guys. There was NO danger in getting beat up. They weren't exactly what you'd call "manly".

Besides, all's fair in love and war.

Back