recipe input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
now that i have made my first good homebrew i have decided (as advised) to better my brewing by picking one recipe and rebrewing it until you get better at the process. i made a hefeweizen with the following recipe.

5 lbs pilsner malt
5 lbs white wheat
.5 lbs oats
enough hallertau to get around 18 IBU's
wyeast 3068

ferment 2 weeks around 65
ferment 1 week around 70
bottle 3 weeks around 70

pretty simple little recipe and it came out great. so does anyone have any input that could make this better?

what was your ABV? Seems like it was real high with 10lbs of extract. I always like my Hefe with low IBU's, like less than 10 but that is me.

my cheap ag system gets about 65% efficiency so my og was 1.050 and final around 1.007 or so. so around 5.7%ABV.

My beersmith hop schedule does not reflect my midwest order so i may have just used an oz of hallertau which might be hard to get up to those IBU's now that i think about it.

whoops. that is not extract it is all grain.

If anything, I would drop the oats. I have never made a hefe, but you should have plenty of head retention from the wheat malt without needing any oats. The only other thing would be to play around with the fermentation temp, if you want more clove make it colder and make it hotter for more banana.

Back