Leaking Co2 Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanaandy

Reaction score
Wanted to make certain that I am not missing anything/doing anything wrong before I return the regulator & 5t lb CO2 tank to the LHBS. I have a dual gauge regulator (looks pretty nice - I paid $75 for it so it had better be). I taped the male end of the CO2 tank with teflon tape (around 6 revolutions - a good amount of tape) and tightened the nut on the regulator connecting to the tank with a Crescent wrench so that it is snug and tight. Each time that I have tested the connection with Star San there is a leak - very small granted but still a leak. I have re-wraped the male end 4 different times and the same result - leak. I noticed that the interior threads on the female end on the regulator look a little bit scuffed so that may be the problem. Is there anything obvious that I am overlooking before I return the regulator? Thanks Montanaandy

Take off the tape, it isn't necessary and could be causing you leak. Also do you have a washer between the regulator and cylinder?

I dug around the bottom of the box and found a/the plastic "O" ring. Put it in, took off the tape, tightened, tested for leaks and it appears that we are in business. Thanks again guys for the tips. Montanaandy

+1 Washer, unless you have a Tap-Rite or similar that has a built in quad ring washer. Otherwise a felt or nylon washer is normally used. Teflon tape is not good, although you would be amazed how many of the tank exchanges have them on the threads.

Did the LHBS give you directions on how to hook it up and use it. They should have! I got a 5 minute demo when I bought mine.

Back