Doubling recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geackdailey

Reaction score
I am an all grain brewer. I have made a brew that is so damn good I can't keep it around long enough to brew other beers. So I am upping my volume from 5 Gal. - 10 Gal. Is there anything I need to know to make this beer essentially the same. This Sunday I am brewing this same recipe, but twice as much.

That will work just fine! If you run it through software, you may see a slight difference in the hops utilization, but it won't be perceptible in taste. Make sure you use enough yeast, that's my only suggestion!

If your brewing equipment can handle a doubling in quantity then your recipe should remain exactly the same. However, if you're like me and you have an 8 gallon pot and you want to brew a double batch, you have to settle for lower efficiency because you can't sparge as much. Also, your boil will be more concentrated which will lower the utilization of the hops, i.e., you'll need to use more hops.

Back