Are these male hop clusters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtbeerman

Reaction score
I looked at my Zeus this morning and it had weird little clusters near the cones. Are they just extra little cones starting or did my plant suddenly sprout some boy clusters? Look on the righthand side above the bottom cone. Am I paranoid? This is a first-year plant and none of my other plants have anything like this. There were about 10 of these little clusters.

http://home.myfairpoint.net/vzeoklrf/brewday/WeirdHop.jpg

I had the same thing show up on my Glacier hops. I left it alone and sure enough, all of them turned into cones within two weeks.

The other day when harvesting one of my Hallertauers, I saw some parts that looked like they might be underdeveloped buds. Now I need to double-check. Between heavy rains, a leafhopper infestation, and Japanese beetles (the beetles being the least problematic), my plants have taken a beating this year and I worry the stress might trigger some hermaphroditism.

Back