Whirlfloc Affect OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacketsfans

Reaction score
Hi, guys & gals. I did a quick search and couldn't find this question, so I thought I'd ask it. Just tried Whirlfloc for the first time and you can reallllly see how it coagulates the break material and drags it down. My question: does Whirlfloc affect your OG reading? I'm brewing a Northern Brewer IPA kit that should have been 1.064 but ended up around 1.059. Not complaining but just wondering if I might have been closer but the break material in the hydrometer tube affected my reading.

No, kettle finings don't affect the gravity at all. Maybe you just had a tad bit more water at the end. As little as a quart and a half extra can affect your gravity reading that much. Or, it could be that the extract just wasn't as mixed up as it could have been, and the heavier wort sunk to the bottom, giving you a "light" reading.

I could understand the heavier wort thing but I aerated it pretty well before hand. Whatever, I was just curious. I'll just rdwhahb for now as I'm sure it will taste fine. Just won't be quite as strong as I was originally going for.

Back