Maybe a good deal on an second regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My secondary regulators are in, and I have been assembling the list for the parts I need to get a 4-way regulator set up. The trouble that I am having is that the primary regulator that I am using does not have the part that connects to the carbon dioxide tank. I can't seem to find one without buying another whole primary regulator setup. Does anyone know where to find one?
Go to praxair and ask for a co2 nipple for your regulator.

Alemental said:
TheFlyingBeer,
The gauges and check/flow valves can be had cheaper here:

http://www.kegkits.com/index.htm

for the most part, their prices on most everything are quite good.

KegKits has some good prices, and if you need a large amount of items it is run by Tom Hargrove, who is one of the guys that has quite a few auctions on ebay. Just call him and tell him what you want and see if you can get a package deal.

I should have a 23cft freezer this weekend to replace my 16cft so I changed my mind from a 6 reg's to 10. I'm sure that if you and your buddy need a total of 6 gauges, 6 check valves that he might hook you up.

Thanks for the link and comments Alemental and Harv, I will have to keep him in mind... it will still be a little bit before I need to purchase the parts (no kegerator while school isn't in session).

Thanks! I sanded it all down, which left a soft 'brushed' steel look. I was hoping the satin finish clear spray I bought would be more consistent in its coating, but whatever. You can only see the stripes from the spray in direct sunlight. Inside it's almost unnoticable.

I noticed on your picture that I'm not the only one who got these with rust on the adjusting screw. One even has a little corosion on the threads. Any worry about putting these in the kegerator and it getting worst? That is my only concern.

JnJ said:
I noticed on your picture that I'm not the only one who got these with rust on the adjusting screw. One even has a little corosion on the threads. Any worry about putting these in the kegerator and it getting worst? That is my only concern.

Nah, refridgerators should naturally lose moisture (and I just fixed my leaky condensation tray, so that helps). I'll probably scrub them down and put a drop of WD40 (just a *little little* bit) on each head to keep them OK.... Not worried in the least.

A wire-brush attachment on a power drill does quick work with rust - try that.

Huh.. I have a freezer for a kegerator and it does not "lose moisture" it makes it. That is why I use damprid. Just about everyone I talk to who has a kegerator has to use a product like damprid, leaving me to believe they make moisture.

JnJ said:
Huh.. I have a freezer for a kegerator and it does not "lose moisture" it makes it. That is why I use damprid. Just about everyone I talk to who has a kegerator has to use a product like damprid, leaving me to believe they make moisture.

Yep, I agree with you JnJ. The basic air temperature, humidity relationships make all of our freezers/refrigerators either make frost or condense water. My kegerator is out in my shed and it condenses a lot of water out of the air so much so that I need two small buckets of DampRid. The warmer the air the more water vapor the air can hold and at certain cooler temperature points or the dew point the water vapor will begin to condense out of the air and liquid water will result; on our yard in the morning it's dew and in our kegerators it is liquid water unless there is Damprid around. About the only way I know to help other than Damprid is to have a good seal and open the door as seldom as possible. I bet in Ol' San Anton you have it rough like us in Austin with the high humidity but we're not as bad as Houston. I bet those guys need gallon size containers of Damprid or Dryerite.

Off Topic, did you ever convert those two kegs I gave you? The one I kept has been working pretty well as a fermenter but someday I'll get a conical I hope; maybe if I get a bonus this year at work.

JnJ said:

Oh, well, I guess I thought most refridgerators, (and definitely my kegerator which has a drip tray under the cooling fins and drainage tube out the back to a bottom collection tray), naturally dehumidify. I guess chest freezers are a whole nother beast entirely.

kvh

runhard said:
Yep, I agree with you JnJ. The basic air temperature, humidity relationships make all of our freezers/refrigerators either make frost or condense water. My kegerator is out in my shed and it condenses a lot of water out of the air so much so that I need two small buckets of DampRid. The warmer the air the more water vapor the air can hold and at certain cooler temperature points or the dew point the water vapor will begin to condense out of the air and liquid water will result; on our yard in the morning it's dew and in our kegerators it is liquid water unless there is Damprid around. About the only way I know to help other than Damprid is to have a good seal and open the door as seldom as possible. I bet in Ol' San Anton you have it rough like us in Austin with the high humidity but we're not as bad as Houston. I bet those guys need gallon size containers of Damprid or Dryerite.

Off Topic, did you ever convert those two kegs I gave you? The one I kept has been working pretty well as a fermenter but someday I'll get a conical I hope; maybe if I get a bonus this year at work.
Lucky for me, I get to keep the kegerator inside, so it's not to bad. I haven't done anything with them yet. Been real busy with other stuff. I haven't brewed in over a month. I think I'll set 1 up as a kettle and do a couple 10 gal Mini mashes before I go all grain.

Kvh: you're half-right; refrigerators do by their very nature remove water from the air; freezers are very very dry. But that water has to go somewhere, and it ends up froming condensation. So the air is dry, but everything else is wet :D.

I got 3 of these in yesterday; only one has the fable rusty screw; score! Now I just need some nipples, fittings, gauges, and a plug, and I'm in business :D.

I did this with 4 regulators, and I love having 4 pressures available! Caution, though all those connections are prone to leak, and those parts, while inexpensive, really add up doing several regulators!, I got a deal on cheap gauges at Grainger, but still spent about a hundred bucks before all was said and done. Was it worth it? I think so.

Are the perlick regulators mentioned earlier in this thread the same as these?
The part numbers are different and there is no mention of Perlick but the price is the same and they "look" the same.

Anyone confirm?

Warren

So wait....with one of these could I go from this:

742-2%20Taprite%20Reg.jpg

To this?

CO2%20Double%20Body,%20Triple%20gauge%20regulator.jpg

:confused:

No, most secondary regulators are designed for 100-150 psi in. You need a second primary regulator to daisy-chain them at the tank.

[Some companies use the term secondary for a full pressure regulator that is connected to the tank with a hose.]

Ahh I see. So if I attached these to my current regulator (I have the one in the top pic of my post) Dialed my primary down to say 40psi I could then regulate the pressure on the secondary regs...I think...

The American Science Surplus ones are still available, but my only hesitation would be the size. I am wondering if these might work as well and be more compact.
1/8" NPT 0-30psi gauges are here for under $9.
Whatayall think?

the sci-surplus regs I got had a sticker with something like "Max PSI 1300" which means I could have daisy-chained them with my primary regulator if I #1 wanted to find a right hand/left hand nipple (the sci-plus are all RHT). #2 wanted to chance that this old reg will handle 800 PSI

Easier to just use them as a bank of secondary regs dialed down by my primaryl

After the reg, it is just tubing. You can find a fitting to hose barb in anything you need.

Now Does anyone know if these tool regulators have anything about them that will prevent them from being useful as a secondary?

If I remember correctly, they are plastic body. I used to have to replace them all the time when I repaired air compressors. they were very easily damaged. some guys would have to get them replaced monthly because the ratcheting lock mechanism under the knob would fail or they would crank them past the limits and literally pull the diaphragm out. I personally would not use them

I have ordered three of the A.S.S. regulators, but have a another question. I'm pretty sure the co2 tank(4 lb) and reg that I have is only setup with a secondary because the gauge is a 0-60 and when I crank the screw in all the way it barely hits 60 psi. I would think that even a little 4 lb tank would hold the same pressure but not volume as a larger tank. so how dangerous is this setup and where could I get a cheap primary reg? thanks guys

beerthirty - some primary regulators only have a low pressure gage. It's not the least bit dangerous, just harder to tell when you are running out of CO2. You might be able to install a high pressure gage if there is a port on the side opposite the tank connection.

beerthirty - some primary regulators only have a low pressure gage. It's not the least bit dangerous, just harder to tell when you are running out of CO2. You might be able to install a high pressure gage if there is a port on the side opposite the tank connection.

Its not so much the regulator reading that makes me think its a low pressure regulator,but the fact that the adjustment screw is cranked all the way in to get the 60 PSI.

If you have a regulator attached to a tank and it is working, it is a primary regulator. The primary I have will also only give me an outflow pressure of 60PSI before it starts to blow its relief valve (found that out trying to carb soda at room temp).

Anyway as for these regulators, they are a bit rusty but I got one that didn't work, called SciPlus and they mailed me another one right away and free of charge.

Its not so much the regulator reading that makes me think its a low pressure regulator,but the fact that the adjustment screw is cranked all the way in to get the 60 PSI.

I see your point. I've never tried running any of my regulators over 40 psi. I think both of my primaries are rated at 0-100 psi. Since soda kegs are rated at 135 psi, this is a built-in safety margin.

American Science & Surplus still has these Perlick secondary regulators. I just bought three.

Thanks especially to kvh and TheFlyingBeer for your pics and parts lists.

KegKits has some good prices, and if you need a large amount of items it is run by Tom Hargrove, who is one of the guys that has quite a few auctions on ebay. Just call him and tell him what you want and see if you can get a package deal.

+1 to KegKits, cheapest price on Gauges (and MFL fittings!) I've ever seen!!!

Just ordered 3 regulators from AS&S, and placing my order right now for gauges and MFL fittings, once they get here and I butcher my existing manifold, time to see what else I need!

American Science & Surplus still has these Perlick secondary regulators. I just bought three.

Thanks especially to kvh and TheFlyingBeer for your pics and parts lists.

I just bought 4 and then they went to a status of backordered? I think I got the last of them.

Woo Hooo score for me!

Now to get the rest of the items!

Cheers

Lucas

Has anyone seen these anywhere recently? I could use a setup like this and I can't afford paying for highpressure ones from homebrew shops...

they sold out of them a while ago, and won't be getting any more.

your best bet is ebay or craigslist. Or just save your pennies and buy new.

B

Back