HERMs vs. RIMs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this is so much of an explanation, but this is a great site for ideas on your system design. A lot of nice elaborate systems, as well as some very simple ones.

Brewhalla

I can't remember who it is (I thought it was ScubaSteve), but somebody on here has a really nice metal Single Tier brewstand, painted bright green. I don't recall if it was even a Rims or a Herms setup, but it was very nice. I can't seem to find the picture now...

EDIT: Upon looking, ScubaSteve does have a really nice wooden stand:
9863-IMGP3148.JPG

ok a Herms system usually consists of the wort running though copper coils submerged in water. its used to control your wort tempurature. this system usually takes a lot more space, but the pluss side is its not in direct contact with the heating source.

a Rims system consist of the wort passing by a heating element in a pipe that has a tempurature controller monitoring the temp also. but the problem with this is it is still in direct contact with the element so it is possible to burn the wort..

when you plan on building a system like this all the little things add up becuase your not just dealling with 3 pots and 3 burners.. now your going to need a pump.etc

RIMS stands for Recirculating Infusion Mash System.
With a RIMS system, you are directly heating the wort, either via a water heater element mounted into the mash tun, or via a gas burner mounted under the mash tun. In order to avoid scorching, and to ensure a uniform temperature through out the mash tun, the wort is pulled from the bottom of the tun and pumped back up to the top. One example of a gas powered RIMS would be the Brutus Ten.
The method described above, of mounting a heating element into a pipe and passing the wort over that, would be another type of electrical RIMS.

HERMS stands for Heat Exchanged Recirculating Mash System.
With a HERMS system, you are never directly heating the wort. Instead, you heat the water in the hot liquor tun, again either through electric or gas, and then you pump your wort through a heat exchanger coil mounted into the hot liquor tun, before it goes back into the top of the mash tun. Because the heat exchanger is indirectly heated, it is thought to be easier on the wort, avoiding any scorching or carmelization.

Well, obviously I prefer a HERMs... heh

It just seems like the more natural choice to me... you have to heat up your HLT anyways, might as well put it to good use.

Ok, from my reading HERMS was superior and if I am going to spend that kind of money I don't want to wish I had something else from day one.

Now what?

I see that most people use kegs in their systems, is there a reason for this? Is it cost or are they better than the pots that can be bought commercially from williamsbrewing.com or my local brew shop?

I want to balance expense with quality but DEFINETELY error on the side of quality.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, this is a great forum.

Joe

A 15.5 gallon SS keg is much cheaper than a 15 gallon SS Pot.

But it is essentially the same thing....a Stainless Steel vessel.

And as far as cosmetics, a SS pot is nice and shiny, but you can polish and buff the kegs just the same.
Bobby_M has a nice thread on keg polishing.

A 15.5 gallon SS keg is much cheaper than a 15 gallon SS Pot.

But it is essentially the same thing....a Stainless Steel vessel.

And as far as cosmetics, a SS pot is nice and shiny, but you can polish and buff the kegs just the same.
Bobby_M has a nice thread on keg polishing.

I have to agree with talley on this one...
I currently have 5 kegs, and two more coming. I have picked them all up off of craigslist... and no, I don't want to get into any ethical arguments with people about this. The simple fact is, there are kegs out there that people are looking to get rid of, because they have NOT been able to return them for their deposit money, for one reason or another.

Anyway, my point is, of the seven that I will soon have, I paid $50 for one, $40 each for two of them, $30 for one of them, $25 each for two of them, and got one for free. So I have averaged $30 per keg. Compare that (62 quart SS pot for $30) to the williamsbrewing 60 quart SS pot for $155.

I will agree, there is more work to do with the keg, cutting the top out, etc. Honestly though, if you have the tools (a grinder) already, then it is just the cost of the cut off wheels. If you don't, I only paid $35 for my angle grinder. I am going to go through and convert six of the seven kegs, keep three of them for myself, and sell off the other three. Now that angle grinder only cost me about $6 per keg, so the total cost, other than the cut off wheels for the grinder, is about $36 per keg.

I am going to have my LHBS do some welding work for me, so that I can add a ball valve, sight glass, and thermometer. The welding work will cost me $65 per keg, and would be less if I knew how to do the work myself. Now I am up to about $100 per kettle. Add in the actual hardware for that, and you are at about $185, compared to $356 for a similarly decked out pot from MoreBeer. Two for the price of one... I like that.

Back