Beer Farts !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambo

Reaction score
Helo gang.

I have been coming to the site for a couple weeks now, & I have been able to find answers to most of my questions without having to post myself. This is realy a great forum.
So far we have brewed an IPA, a Pale Ale, & an Amber (sort of). All have had their own unique flavor, & all have been good, but all have had a similar taste that I can only describe as "musty" We are thinking yeast.......Are we on the right track?? More importantly, how do we fix it?
Here is the kicker. If we drink more than 2 or 3, the beer farts the next day are explosive. I mean EXPLOSIVE!! I even offend myself, & that's hard to do.

Can anyone help with this dilemma?
Thanks
Kevin

Cheeto1977 said:
Stop pouring early leave a 1/4" in the bottom of the bottle

you are eating yeast

that is what is giving you the gas

om nom nom. Yeast makes your brew better. :)

Take full advantage of your homebrew induced flatulence. Buttercup SWMBO, children, friends, etc.:cross:

Keep some candles lit in your general vicinity when you feel this coming on. You will know that you have a problem if the flame turns blue.

When pouring, think decanting. Some people LOVE that sediment on the bottom of the bottle, while many/most tend to leave it in the bottle.

The notion of explosive flatulence always makes me chuckle. I'm glad that I didn't leave that sense of humor in the fourth grade.

Thanks, You guys are a lot of help. I'm going to buy a canary for the bedroom today. Candles might be dangerous.
I just read an interesting thread about the best way to get rid of trub/hops from wort when transfering from boil pot to the primary. We have not been doing this at all. We just pour 3 gal partial boil into 2 1/2 gal H2O, cool it with a chiller, then pour it into the primary. Might this be contributing to the musty flavor?
By the way. I had never heard the term SWMBO before coming to this site. I shared it with my SWMBO, & now she insists that I refer to her as SWMBO. I think she is going to have a T-shirt made. I guess it is the least I can do if she continues to tollerate my flatulence while I work the kinks out of my brewing process.

sambo said:
I just read an interesting thread about the best way to get rid of trub/hops from wort when transfering from boil pot to the primary. We have not been doing this at all. We just pour 3 gal partial boil into 2 1/2 gal H2O, cool it with a chiller, then pour it into the primary. Might this be contributing to the musty flavor?

You can use a sterilized strainer (my preferred method) or put your hops in bags before adding it to the boil. Either of these methods will greatly reduce the amount of crud at the bottom of your primary. Also racking to a secondary after a few weeks will really help clarify your beer and may get rid of some of that musty flavor.

You could buy one of these....(fart suit)

Fart_suit.jpg

Or go w/ a fart filter...

http://www.shopinprivate.com/flatfarfilun.html

Could always give Beano a try... :confused: not sure it would stand much of a chance. Although explosive gas can be quite discomforting... it must always be appreciated as an upper advantage to controlling the conversations of everyone around you.:rockin:

sambo said:
Helo gang.

I have been coming to the site for a couple weeks now, & I have been able to find answers to most of my questions without having to post myself. This is realy a great forum.
So far we have brewed an IPA, a Pale Ale, & an Amber (sort of). All have had their own unique flavor, & all have been good, but all have had a similar taste that I can only describe as "musty" We are thinking yeast.......Are we on the right track?? More importantly, how do we fix it?
Here is the kicker. If we drink more than 2 or 3, the beer farts the next day are explosive. I mean EXPLOSIVE!! I even offend myself, & that's hard to do.

Can anyone help with this dilemma?
Thanks
Kevin
:confused: What dilemma? Think of it as a gift from the BrewGods! I bet "musty" is not the way they are described by others.:mug: :rockin: :mug:

Well, I'm going to dig this thread up and dust it off. I was searching on the subject of beer farts here because...well...I'm a sufferer of the problem (abliet a fun problem). Sometimes after a night of heavy drinking I'll fart so loud I wake myself up, smile, and go back to sleep.

Today I only had two brews from the local microbrew house and three hours later, I'm farting every minute or two (good thing I'm the only employee at work right now). I've been hearing that Ajwain helps to prevent/reduce farts and am thinking about trying that out.

I have noticed that my farts have had a certain, shall we say pungency since my home brewing has started... While slightly embarrassing while in the company of friends, family and complete strangers, the simple act of causing myself to seek refuge from the noxious fumes does kind of give me a warm fuzzy inside knowing that I helped contribute to such a potentially hazardous situation...

I mean when the cat leaves the room, that is good stuff there... Working on getting the dog to leave as well soon...

Wow!!!
I'm real glad it's not just me. I was beginning to scare myself.....
Yeast in the brewery, huh? Too bad the gas isn't marketable. I'd be rich.

I am under the opinion that some yeast strains are worse than others. I started drinking a Dunkel Wiezen this weekend in which I used Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Weizen) yeast.

I was thankful that the wedding that I had to attend was outdoors.

Over the weekend I was having a few brews. My wife made a little bet with me and she lost. So she had to go to Del Taco and pick up some munchies. Talk about some posterior munitions! I think I could have powered a hot air balloon yesterday.

A word to the wise..."flatulence of death" and a wife with first trimester morning sickness and heightened sense of smell don't mix well.

Back