Blow Off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
HI all. Fast question and I would like your opinion.

Last night as the Kruzen is about to blow off the top of my primary, I opened the primary and put in a blow off tube. Everything seemed to be ok, until much to my demise, this morning, I have no kruzen whatsoever. All activity seemed to stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have never used a blow-off tube before, and perhaps I contaminated my first mead. Any suggestions?

Thanks, and have a cold one on me.:tank:

Don't worry- just put an airlock on it and let it go. It's probably just settling down a little for the long haul fermentation. If you had alot of fruit or something, the yeast will go to town on it. Fermentation hasn't stopped, and it wouldn't be contaminated if you kept a blow off tube or airlock on it anyway. As a matter of fact, for my wines and meads, I usually just cover it with a towel for the first couple of days, until fermentation settles down some. Then I airlock it.

It'll be fine!

Blow off tube for mead? I'm lucky to get a bubble or two every minute.WOW.

Jeepsn beer said:
Blow off tube for mead? I'm lucky to get a bubble or two every minute.WOW.

depends on your recipe and honey. straight meads, especially with heat treated or pasteurized honey often don't krausen. you just see fizzy bubbles up the sides of the carboy.

but using extremly raw honey means lots of proteins and beeswax that'll give enough surface tension to foam.
sometimes fruit will do it too, although i tend to add my fruit in secondary.

Back