How long can I store crushed grains and yeast? +1 more question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveGerard

Reaction score
I got a couple of kits from Northern Brewer, but I of course realized too late that I forgot to tell them not to crush the grain, as I am not planning to brew these batches for at least a month, maybe more. The grains are in a ziploc type bag, you can definitely smell them outside the bag, so how long can I wait on brewing? Also, they came with wyeast smack packs, should those go right into the fridge (not much room in there), or are they OK in my basement for a bit (temps around 60-65)?

And, let's say that one of the kits may not be able to be drank in any significance for like 6 months, best to wait to brew it, best to leave it in secondary for like a month (it's a honey brown ale), or best to bottle as normal and then just store it?
Thanks.

The yeast I would definitely put in the fridge...today. They are not very big, you can find some room in your fridge for sure.

The grain, uncrushed, should store for a month as is; however, I would put it in another big freezer bag and put it in the freezer.

Keep the beer in secondary an extra month. Honestly the longer in secondary the better. I am sure there is a limit to that statement, but two months is certainly not it. After two months your beer will likely be beautifully clear and conditioned.

Cool, I will freeze/fridge the stuff when I get home, I'm sure I can stuff it somewhere. So let's say I wait a month and then brew the beer up, leave it in the secondary for a month (or 2), and then bottle it. In theory, it should stay carbonated for a long time right? Or is there basically a use by date at which point the gas will have found a way out and the beer will go flat again?

Once bottled, the only way for the CO2 to escape the beer is through the glass...needless to say that doesnt happen. So, if your CO2 makes it out of your beer, you will know because you will have broken glass and beer all over your floor.

DaveGerard said:
And, let's say that one of the kits may not be able to be drank in any significance for like 6 months, best to wait to brew it, best to leave it in secondary for like a month (it's a honey brown ale), or best to bottle as normal and then just store it? Thanks.

I think the solution to your problem is you need to drink more :)

From what I've been told, crushed grains start to go stale after around 2 weeks with a month being the time they really start to go downhill.

Normal shelf life for Wyeast is five months if refrigerated. Probably more but it starts to slide too.

Oh, believe me, it's not due to me that the stuff can't be drank for so long. If you brewed a pool sized batch of beer I could probably put a pretty good dent in it. I promised to brew it for someone that won't be able to drink for around 9 months, so discounting the bottles that I will keep for myself for test purposes, I need to be able to deliver them a good beer. Hell, that's so far off though that maybe I should just brew this batch, order another kit in about 6 or 7 months, and do another round.

Latest posts

Back