should i dump it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
Long story short I fell asleep and scorched the living hell out if my wort. I pitchhed yeast anyway and fermentation took off.

Search for some of the "don't dump it" threads- it MIGHT be undrinkable if you keep it, but it WILL be undrinkable if you dump it.

If it tastes scorched, it isn't going away. If the final product tastes bad, just dump it.

It's good that it's only 2 gallons. That won't be as hard a hit as dumping 5 gallons. I would still let it ferment then taste a sample out of the primary before bottling/kegging to decide whether to dump it.

Yeah, scorched is one of those things that won't get better with time, but if you're feeling experimental the play with it, like Johnnyhitch said. Turn it into something weird.

Add some Ancho chili's to it and roll with it. By fell asleep do you mean passed out? If so, don't feel bad as I have done it too.

Bottled this last night added star anise, coriander seed and a bottle of apricot extract. Ytasted pretty good.

Man, Revvy says to turn it into something weird, and you totally run with that advice! Good job! :D

It's not a complete disaster after all. The star anise blends well with the coriander seed. Kind of bitter and a little sour.
Definitely gonna have a couple more.
I'm thinking that alot of it will be swilled down by my booze hole beer mooching friends.

Back