Has anyone tried the recipes from the Complete Joy of Homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you talking about? Which recipe?

Well consider that this is the Lambic forum......
This is basically what I am doing based on the recipe in the book.

1/2 lb crystal malt
6 lb american 2 row
1/2 lb 2 row
2 oz local hops I picked - friends vine, she doesnt brew and told me to take all I want! I think they are cascade but I am going to oven dry then boil a tea for 3 hours
1- Wyeast american ale
1- Brettanomyces bruxellensis
1- Brettanomyces lambicus
8 15oz can Raspberry purree (in secondary)

pitch the america ale yeast at 70F and allow to ferment until fermentation stops.

Will rack to secondary and pitch the two Brett blends on top of the Raspberries. will allow this to rot for about 3 months then bottle and age until I feel like trying one.

Well consider that this is the Lambic forum......
This is basically what I am doing based on the recipe in the book.

1/2 lb crystal malt
6 lb american 2 row
1/2 lb 2 row
2 oz local hops I picked - friends vine, she doesnt brew and told me to take all I want! I think they are cascade but I am going to oven dry then boil a tea for 3 hours
1- Wyeast american ale
1- Brettanomyces bruxellensis
1- Brettanomyces lambicus
8 15oz can Raspberry purree (in secondary)

pitch the america ale yeast at 70F and allow to ferment until fermentation stops.

Will rack to secondary and pitch the two Brett blends on top of the Raspberries. will allow this to rot for about 3 months then bottle and age until I feel like trying one.

His book recipes are pretty similar to most standard lambic recipes. A couple quick points:

Papazian's lambic recipes specify, in his words: an American-style ale yeast in combination with a Lambic-style bacteria culture (which includes Brett brux & Brett lambicus). That lambic-style bacteria culture he mentions would also include lactobacillus and pediococcus, which will be necessary to sour the beer. You could use one of the Wyeast / WhiteLabs lambic blends and get all of these strains in one.

Recipe also states 6 lbs LME, so if you are doing an all-grain batch you'd convert that to about 8 lbs of 2-row, rather than 6 lbs.

I'm not exactly sure what you are shooting for with the hop tea, but if you are using Cascade as your bittering hop you'll probably want to use less than a quarter ounce. FWIW, I'd personally recommend a low AA continental hop in this style beer. For sour beers, you'll want to make sure your IBUs are quite low <5. My recommendation would be wait a few months before adding the fruit and increase your overall aging time before bottling.

Hope this helps

His book recipes are pretty similar to most standard lambic recipes. A couple quick points:

Papazian's lambic recipes specify, in his words: an American-style ale yeast in combination with a Lambic-style bacteria culture (which includes Brett brux & Brett lambicus). That lambic-style bacteria culture he mentions would also include lactobacillus and pediococcus, which will be necessary to sour the beer. You could use one of the Wyeast / WhiteLabs lambic blends and get all of these strains in one.

Recipe also states 6 lbs LME, so if you are doing an all-grain batch you'd convert that to about 8 lbs of 2-row, rather than 6 lbs.

I'm not exactly sure what you are shooting for with the hop tea, but if you are using Cascade as your bittering hop you'll probably want to use less than a quarter ounce. FWIW, I'd personally recommend a low AA continental hop in this style beer. For sour beers, you'll want to make sure your IBUs are quite low <5. My recommendation would be wait a few months before adding the fruit and increase your overall aging time before bottling.

Hope this helps

Thanks man! Yeah I was going by the all grain recipe he had, but makes sense to add more 2-row to the all grain version. Thanks on the yeast as well. His explanation was a tad vague and almost alluded to both.

Oh on the hops, I have read that if you do not have any old ones you can use any but dry in the oven and boil the snot out of them to get rid of the bitterness. I believe we just want the preservative qualities out of them.

One more note. I did get the Oregon fruit from amazon which was about the best price. However in a local cash and carry they sell the 49oz can of Raspberry ice cream topping. The difference in ingredients is Oregon is Raspberries and sugar and water. The topping is Raspberries Corn syrup and water. So to me they are pretty much similar. The topping is hella cheaper, $8 per can so $16 overall versus $35. Thoughts?

If you boil the hops in water before using, you will likely boil out anything useful in them.

If that is 2 ozs of fresh hops (off the vine, not dried), you should be fine just adding them as they are. 2 ozs fresh hops is about the equivalent of a quarter ounce of dried hops.

Not really sure you need hops anyway. They were traditionally used as a preservative when the wort was inoculated in the open. By adding the bugs and yeast, we control it, and once there is alcohol, it acts as protection for the beer. That being said, I always add a small amount of old low AA hops.

And wait about 6 months (or more) before adding the fruit.

Back